Home Table of Contents

§ 871. Commitment to institutions for care and treatment; procedure and expense of

Purdon's Pennsylvania Statutes and Consolidated StatutesTitle 11 P.S. Children

Purdon's Pennsylvania Statutes and Consolidated Statutes
Title 11 P.S. Children (Refs & Annos)
Chapter 12. Maintenance of Crippled Children (Refs & Annos)
11 P.S. § 871
§ 871. Commitment to institutions for care and treatment; procedure and expense of
Crippled children whose parents or guardians fail or are financially unable to provide suitable medical and surgical aid, treatment, and education, when necessary, may, with the consent of the parents or guardian of such child, be committed to a crippled children's home or orthopaedic hospital or other institution. Application for such care, treatment, and education shall first be made to the juvenile court by a parent, guardian, or some interested person. If such court is of the opinion that such child is in need of treatment and education, and finds that the parent or guardian fails to provide it, he may make an order committing the child to an institution as above specified, and shall at once forward a copy of the decree and a statement of the facts to the Department of Public Welfare,1 and shall provide for the child's conveyance, in charge of a suitable person, to the place designated for treatment. The expenses for maintenance, treatment, conveyance, and education of such crippled child shall be first paid by the county of its residence and then may be charged to the parent or guardian, if able to pay, in whole or in part, as the court may direct. Such committance shall be temporary, and shall be only for the period necessary for the treatment of such child.


1923, June 7, P.L. 677, No. 276, § 1.


Now Department of Human Services; see 62 P.S. § 103.
11 P.S. § 871, PA ST 11 P.S. § 871
Current through Act 13 of the 2024 Regular Session. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.
End of Document