22 CRR-NY 131.6NY-CRR
22 CRR-NY 131.6
22 CRR-NY 131.6
131.6 Use and deployment of equipment and personnel by the news media.
(a) Limitations upon use of equipment and personnel in the courtroom.
(1) No more than two electronic or motion picture cameras and two camera operators shall be permitted in any proceeding.
(2) No more than two photographers to operate one still camera each, shall be permitted in any proceeding.
(3) No more than one audio system for broadcast purposes shall be permitted in any proceeding. Audio pickup for all news media purposes shall be effectuated through existing audio systems in the court facility. If no technically suitable audio system is available, microphones and related wiring essential for media purposes shall be supplied by those persons providing coverage. Any microphones and sound wiring shall be unobtrusive and placed where designated by the presiding trial judge.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (1)-(3) of this subdivision, the presiding trial judge on a finding of special circumstances may modify any restriction on the amount of equipment or number of operating personnel in the courtroom, compatible with the dignity of the court or the judicial process.
(b) Sound and light criteria.
(1) Only electronic and motion picture cameras, audio equipment and still camera equipment that do not produce distracting sound or light may be employed to cover judicial proceedings.
(2) No motorized drives, moving lights, flash attachments, or sudden lighting changes shall be permitted during coverage of judicial proceedings.
(3) No light or signal visible or audible to trial participants shall be used on any equipment during coverage to indicate whether it is operating.
(4) With the concurrence of the presiding trial judge and the administrative judge, modifications and additions may be made in light sources existing in the court facility, provided such modifications or additions are installed and maintained at media expense and are not distracting or otherwise offensive.
(c) Location of equipment and personnel.
Electronic and motion picture cameras, still cameras, and camera personnel shall be positioned in such locations as shall be designated by the presiding trial judge. The areas designated shall provide the news media with reasonable access to the persons they wish to cover while causing the least possible interference with court proceedings. Equipment that is not necessary for audio-visual coverage from inside the courtroom shall be located in an area outside the courtroom.
(d) Movement of equipment and media personnel.
During the proceedings, operating personnel shall not move about, nor shall there be placement, movement or removal of equipment, or the changing of film, film magazines or lenses. All such activities shall take place each day before the proceeding begins, after it ends, or during a recess.
(e) Identifying insignia.
Identifying marks, call letters, words, and symbols shall be concealed on all equipment. Persons operating such equipment shall not display any identifying insignia on their clothing.
(f) Other restrictions.
The presiding trial judge may impose any other restriction on the use and deployment of equipment and personnel as may be appropriate.
22 CRR-NY 131.6
Current through March 15, 2019
|End of Document||© 2019 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|