15 CRR-NY 51.3NY-CRR
15 CRR-NY 51.3
15 CRR-NY 51.3
51.3 Regrooved tires.
(a) No person, firm, association or corporation shall sell, offer or expose for sale or have in his possession with intent to sell, any motor vehicle tire or motorcycle tire which has been recut or regrooved. Except that there shall be no prohibition against the sale of regrooved or recut commercial vehicle tires which are designed or constructed in such a manner that regrooving or recutting is an acceptable and safe practice. A violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor. (General Business Law, § 391.)
(b) Any tire which is regrooved shall meet the following standards:
(1) The tire being regrooved shall be a regroovable tire which is a tire, either original tread or retread, designed and constructed with sufficient tread material to permit renewal of the tread pattern or the generation of a new tread pattern in a manner conforming to this regulation.
(2) After regrooving, cord material below the grooves shall have a protective covering of tread material at least 3/32 inches thick.
(3) After regrooving, the new grooves generated into the tread material and any residual original molded tread groove which is at or below the new regrooved depth, shall have a minimum of 90 linear inches of tread edges per linear foot of tire circumference.
(4) After regrooving, the new groove width generated into the tread material shall be a minimum of 3/16 inch and a maximum of 5/16 inch.
(5) After regrooving, all new grooves cut into the tread shall provide unobstructed fluid escape passages.
(6) After regrooving, the tire shall not contain any of the following defects, as determined by a visual examination of the tire either mounted on the rim, or dismounted, whichever is applicable:
(i) cracking which extends to the fabric;
(ii) groove cracks or wear extending to the fabric; or
(iii) evidence of ply, tread or sidewall separation.
(c) The above standards shall apply to any person who regrooves tires and sells or offers for sale or leases them to owners or operators of motor vehicles, and any person who regrooves his own tires for use on motor vehicles.
(d) Siped tires.
No person shall lease, sell, offer or expose for lease or sale, or have in his possession with intent to lease or sell siped tires produced by cutting the tread surfaces of a regrooved or regroovable tire without removing rubber, if the tire cord material is damaged as a result of the siping process, or if the tire is siped deeper than the original tread, or regrooved groove depth.
(e) Labeling of regroovable tires.
After January 1, 1972 each tire designed and constructed for regrooving shall be labeled on both sidewalls with the word “Regroovable” molded on or into the tire in raised or recessed letters.25 to.040 inches. The word “Regroovable” shall be in letters 0.38 to 0.50 inches in height and not less than four inches and not more than six inches in length. The lettering shall be located in the sidewall of the tire between the maximum section width and the bead in an area which will not be obstructed by the rim flange.
15 CRR-NY 51.3
Current through May 15, 2022
|End of Document|