12 CRR-NY 21.10NY-CRR
12 CRR-NY 21.10
12 CRR-NY 21.10
21.10 Authorized installation of anchors.
(1) Anchor fastenings, except nuts, reinforcing plates and washers which are protected from the weather, shall be of the same metal as the anchor.
(2) Every fastening bolt or machine screw shall be machined from bar stock or hot forged. It shall have at least three-sixteenths inch of unthreaded length under the head and threads shall be cut.
(3) Every reinforcing plate shall be of steel and shall be cleaned and painted with at least one coat of corrosion resistant paint before installation.
(4) Nuts and machine screws shall be screwed tight without producing excessive stress.
(5) To prevent turning, loosening or backing off, threads shall be peened close to the nut or plate or in lieu thereof, heavy lockwashers, firm locknuts or other positive means of retaining the finished position of threaded parts may be provided.
(b) Installation in pairs.
(1) Anchors shall be installed so as to be usable in pairs from a position on the sill from which the cleaning is done and with each terminal of the safety belt attached to a separate anchor.
(2) One anchor shall be installed at each side of a window which may be, and is to be cleaned by the authorized method of working from the sill or ledge, so that each window has its own pair of anchors, except: where three double-hung windows with two separating mullions are set in one wall opening and the outer sash openings are less than 21 inches in width, anchors need not be installed at the outer sides of the outer windows.
(c) Height above sill.
Anchors shall be between 42 and 51 inches above the sill or ledge.
(d) Terminal space.
Each anchor shall be located so as to permit easy attachment and removal of a terminal and free play of the terminal when attached.
(e) Accessibility from inside.
Anchors shall be located so as to permit easy attachment of a terminal to either anchor without extending more than one arm beyond the sash opening.
(f) Wooden frames.
(1) Anchors shall be attached to wood or metal covered wood window frames or mullions by bolts not less than three-eighths inch in diameter which pass through the entire window frame or mullion by holes not more than seven-sixteenths inch in diameter drilled through a solid section, such as a pulley stile or equivalent, of the frame or mullion.
(2) Bolts shall be securely fastened by a nut and washer.
(3) The outside diameter of such washer shall be at least twice the diameter of the bolt hole.
(4) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Part, the ends of such bolts shall be peened to prevent loosening or removal of the nuts.
(5) The back face of anchors for installation in wood windows, frames or mullions shall be provided with at least two sharp lugs or equivalent means to prevent turning of anchor after installation.
(6) Such installations shall be made only where frames are securely attached to the building.
(g) Installation of masonry type anchors.
(1) Hereafter masonry type anchors shall not be installed in existing masonry or concrete walls, nor in any poured concrete. Such anchors shall be installed only in new walls of masonry unit construction.
(2) No such anchor shall be installed unless it is shaped to build into the joints between the masonry units being used.
(3) Each such anchor shall be firmly imbedded in the masonry and so placed that its flange bears flush against the masonry unit.
(h) Installation on hollow metal window frames.
(1) Frame requirements.
Anchors shall not be installed on hollow metal window frames more than 10 feet in height unless such frames are approved. All other such frames shall meet the following specifications.
(i) Hollow metal window frames shall be of steel, aluminum or bronze. If made of any type of steel, the minimum thickness of the metal shall be 0.025 inch and its minimum ultimate tensile strength shall be 60,000 psi.
(ii) If made of aluminum, they shall be made of extruded aluminum alloy, type 6063 T5, or equivalent, and the minimum thickness of the metal shall be 0.062 inch.
(iii) If made of bronze, they shall be made of extruded architectural bronze, type Copper Alloy No. 385 as designated by the Copper and Brass Research Association, or its equivalent, and the minimum thickness of the metal shall be 0.078 inch.
(2) Attachment of anchors to hollow metal frames.
(i) At least two bolts or machine screws not less than three-eighths inch in diameter and of proper length shall pass through the frame and through the middle of a steel reinforcing plate placed on the inside of the frame.
(ii) Provision shall also be made by means of adequate stiffeners to transmit the force of any load placed on the window anchors to the full cross section or depth of the jamb or mullion.
(iii) Bolts shall be secured by means of nuts and lock washers.
(iv) If bolts are not used, the reinforcing plate shall be tapped to receive the machine screws, which shall be screwed through the plate with at least one complete thread protruding.
(v) In installations made after February 25, 1964, a lock washer shall be provided under the head of the machine screw.
(vi) Reinforcing plates shall be at least five-sixteenths inch thick and three-quarters inch wide.
(vii) When used with steel window frames reinforcing plates shall be at least 12 inches long if the frame metal thickness is less than 0.062 inch and at least six inches long if the frame metal thickness is 0.062 inch or more.
(viii) Aluminum and bronze window frames shall have reinforcing plates at least 12 inches long.
(3) Existing installations on hollow metal frames.
Installations of approved anchors made before February 25, 1964, on frames of ferrous metal shall be in accordance with the provisions of former Industrial Code Rule No. 21 which were in effect at the time of installation. Such installations on sound and substantial frames of aluminum at least 0.062 inch thick or bronze at least 0.078 inch thick, if made in accordance with the provisions of former Industrial Code Rule No. 21 relating to installations on frames of ferrous metal which were in effect at the time of installation, are hereby authorized.
(i) Installation on solid metal window frames.
(1) Anchors shall be attached to solid metal frames by at least two bolts or machine screws not less than three-eighths inch in diameter which shall be of proper length and shall pass through the frame.
(2) Bolts shall be secured on the inside by nuts and lock washers.
(3) If bolts are not used, the frame shall be tapped its entire thickness and the machine screws shall be screwed through the frame with at least one complete thread protruding.
(4) In such instances the thickness of the frame shall afford at least five-sixteenths inch length of threaded hole or a tapped reinforcing plate shall be used as for hollow metal frames, and in installations made after February 25, 1964, a lock washer shall be provided under the head of the machine screw.
(j) Attachment of frames to wall construction.
Window frames shall be so designed, constructed and installed as to be securely fastened to the wall construction.
(k) Firm installation required.
Every installation and its supporting structural features shall be firm and stable. Anchors and anchor fastenings shall be secured to prevent them from turning, backing off or becoming loose.
(l) Evidence of compliance.
In respect to the requirements of this Part regarding the metal used in or in connection with metal frame windows, whether hollow or solid, their internal construction, their installation in or attachment to a building structure and the attachment of anchors to them, the manufacturer, builder or installer, as the case may be, shall prepare a written and signed statement setting forth in detail the facts establishing that such frames and their installation are in accordance with the requirements of this Part and shall cause such statement to be filed with the commissioner. Upon the filing of such a certificate the commissioner may, if he finds it sufficient, accept it as presumptive evidence of the facts therein stated.
12 CRR-NY 21.10
Current through March 15, 2022
|End of Document|