9 CRR-NY 4.77NY-CRR
9 CRR-NY 4.77
9 CRR-NY 4.77
4.77 Executive Order No. 77: Establishing membership of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission.
WHEREAS, a State Commission has been established by statute to develop and implement plans and activities in New York State for the annual commemoration and celebration of the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; and
WHEREAS, the continuing purpose of the commission is to ensure that the commemoration of Dr. King's birthday is meaningful and reflective of the spirit with which he lived and the struggles for which he died; and
WHEREAS, the statute establishes a 15-member board of directors and provides for appointment by the Governor of at least 25 general members to the commission;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Mario M. Cuomo, Governor of the State of New York, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State of New York, do hereby appoint the general members of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission and do hereby describe its duties and responsibilities.
I. Duties and Responsibilities of the Commission
1. The commission shall develop recommendations for specific commemorative activities, to be undertaken by the State on the third Monday of January of each year, celebrating the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. The commission shall coordinate State plans and activities with Federal plans and activities for the commemoration and celebration of Dr. King's birthday.
3. The commission shall develop, in consultation with other State agencies, interpretive programs which explore the historical, social, political and cultural themes associated with the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. The commission shall develop interpretive materials and publications on the significance of Dr. King's work, and shall develop a commemorative program for State employees, school children and the general public.
5. The commission shall make a report to the Governor and the Legislature with respect to its findings, conclusions, proposals and recommendations for the January 20, 1986, commemoration of Dr. King's birthday, and shall report no later than December first, annually thereafter.
6. The commission shall make other studies, reports and recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature as are deemed necessary.
7. The commission may request and shall receive from any department, division, board, bureau, commission or agency of the State such assistance and data as will enable it to carry out its purpose and responsibilities hereunder.
II. Board of Directors
The board of directors shall meet quarterly or at such additional times as may be designated by the chairman.
1. General members of the commission shall be selected by the Governor from those groups and organizations that best reflect the goals and ideas of Dr. King, including but not limited to representatives of the following fields: religion, labor, civil rights, youth, education, business, communications, and entertainment and the arts.
2. The general members of the commission shall be appointed by the Governor and shall serve two- year terms.
3. The commission shall meet annually or at such additional times as may be designated by the board of directors.
Signed: Mario M. Cuomo
Dated: October 31, 1985
9 CRR-NY 4.77
Current through September 15, 2021
|End of Document|