6 CRR-NY 226.3NY-CRR
6 CRR-NY 226.3
6 CRR-NY 226.3
226.3 Equipment specifications.
Except as otherwise permitted by the department pursuant to section 226.5 of this Part, the following types of control equipment must be used by a person conducting solvent metal cleaning:
(a) Cold cleaning degreasing when the internal volume of the machine is greater than two gallons.
(1) A cover which can be operated easily.
(2) An internal drainage facility (under cover), if practical.
(3) A control system that limits VOC emissions to those achievable with equipment having a freeboard ratio greater than or equal to 0.5, or a water cover when the solvent is insoluble in and heavier than water. Remote reservoir degreasers are exempt from this requirement.
(4) Solvent with a vapor pressure of 1.0 mm Hg, or less, at 20°C. Prior to January 1, 2004, compliance with this requirement is not mandatory if compliant solvents are not readily available. On or after January 1, 2004, the person conducting solvent metal cleaning covered by this subdivision must use compliant solvents or have submitted a process specific RACT demonstration pursuant to section 226.5 of this Part. This paragraph does not apply to degreasers:
(i) used in special and extreme solvent metal cleaning;
(ii) for which the owner or operator has received department approval of a demonstration that compliance with the requirement of a solvent with a vapor pressure of 1.0 mm Hg, or less, at 20°C will result in unsafe operating conditions; or
(iii) that are located in a permanent total enclosure having control equipment that is designed and operated with an overall VOC removal efficiency of 90 percent or greater.
(b) Open-top vapor degreasing.
(1) A cover which can be operated easily without disturbing the vapor zone.
(2) Safety switches which shut off the sump heat if the condenser malfunctions and shall shut off the pump if the vapor level drops excessively.
(3) One of the following:
(i) a freeboard ratio that is greater than or equal to 0.75, and a powered or mechanically assisted cover if the top opening is greater than 10 square feet;
(ii) a refrigerated chiller; or
(iii) local exhaust ventilation and a carbon adsorption unit, or an equivalent system, for collection of VOCs.
(c) Conveyorized degreasing.
(1) One of the following:
(i) a refrigerated chiller; or
(ii) local exhaust ventilation and a carbon adsorption unit, or an equivalent system, for collection of VOCs.
(2) A drying tunnel, rotating basket or other device acceptable to the department which prevents carry-out of VOCs.
(3) Safety switches which shut off the system when the degreaser malfunctions.
(4) Minimize openings at the entrance and exit of the degreaser.
6 CRR-NY 226.3
Current through February 28, 2019
|End of Document||© 2019 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|