8 CRR-NY 100.15NY-CRR
8 CRR-NY 100.15
8 CRR-NY 100.15
100.15 Summer institutes for mathematics and science teachers in middle grades five through eight.
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this section is to establish requirements for a competitive grant program to public and independent colleges and universities offering teacher education programs, in partnership with school districts, to conduct summer institutes for teachers of mathematics and science pursuant to Education Law, section 3641-b.
(b) Subject to the availability of funds appropriated for such purpose, the commissioner shall annually issue a request for proposals to public and independent colleges and universities offering teacher education programs, registered pursuant to section 52.21 of this Title, that partner with school districts to conduct summer institutes for teachers of mathematics and science in grades five through eight in middle schools, junior high schools, intermediate schools or junior/senior high schools.
(1) Such proposals shall be in a format, and submitted pursuant to a timeline, as prescribed by the commissioner and shall include a description of how the program will advance the content knowledge and pedagogy of participating teachers in the areas of mathematics and science, including, but not limited to, how the program is:
(i) aligned to State learning standards for mathematics and science; and
(ii) aligned and integrated with programs offered to excelsior scholars pursuant to the requirements of section 100.14 of this Part, to the extent practicable, as well as with other State and Federal programs with similar purposes.
(2) Teachers shall be selected for participation in such summer institutes by principals who shall give priority to teachers who meet the following criteria:
(i) first and second year teachers of grades five through eight;
(ii) teachers who are changing assignments and would benefit from professional learning to improve student learning; and
(iii) teachers who have been identified as needing additional professional learning in building content knowledge in mathematics and science and understanding of pedagogy.
(c) Competitive grants will be awarded to public and independent colleges and universities submitting a proposal pursuant to subdivision (b) of this section based on, but not limited to, the following criteria:
(1) the program is aligned to the State learning standards for mathematics and science;
(2) the program is designed to advance the content knowledge and pedagogy of participating mathematics and science teachers based on local measures of need assessment;
(3) the program is aligned and integrated with programs offered to excelsior scholars pursuant to the requirements of section 100.14 of this Part, to the extent practicable, as well as other State and Federal programs with similar purpose; and
(4) priority is given, as practicable, to teachers in schools identified as schools in need of improvement, corrective action or restructuring status, schools under registration review or schools requiring academic progress.
8 CRR-NY 100.15
Current through July 15, 2022
|End of Document|