6 CRR-NY 40.6NY-CRR
6 CRR-NY 40.6
6 CRR-NY 40.6
40.6 Fish pots or traps.
(1) A fish pot or fish trap is any box-like or cage-like device other than a lobster pot made of any material that is capable of taking and holding fish until removed by the fisher. Traps less than 30 inches in length used only to take bait and trap nets and pound nets are not fish pots or fish traps regulated under this section.
(2) A lobster pot is any box-like or cage-like device regulated and defined under Part 44 of this Title.
(b) Maximum size of a fish pot or fish trap.
It is unlawful to take any fish species using a pot or trap having any external dimension greater than six feet.
(c) Identification of fish pots or traps.
Fish pots or traps must be identified as follows:
(1) Fish pots or fish traps must have attached to them a floating buoy or identification marker that must be constructed and placed as to be clearly visible on the surface of the water. Plastic containers, bottles or jugs originally designed to carry liquids must not be used.
(2) The number assigned to the holder of a commercial foodfish license for the current year at the time he or she obtains such license, followed by the letter “F,” must be painted or otherwise affixed on each buoy or marker in a contrasting color, or branded on each buoy or marker, in clearly visible and legible characters not less than two inches in height. The same color or combination of colors must be used on all buoys or markers bearing the same permit number.
(3) The same number appearing on a buoy or market must appear in characters not less than three-fourths of an inch in height, on all pots or traps identified by that buoy or marker. If the construction of a pot or trap does not allow it to be marked by branding, that pot or trap must be marked by a tag or other device bearing, in clearly visible and legible characters, the same number appearing on a buoy or marker used to identify that pot or trap. This tag or other device must be of a material that does not deteriorate in sea water and must be firmly attached to the pot or trap it identifies.
(d) Fish pot or trap tags.
(1) Effective January 1, 2003, all fish pots or traps in use or on board any vessel shall be marked by a color coded trap tag, issued by the Department of Environmental Conservation. Such tag shall be firmly attached to the pot or trap and shall indicate the year issued. New tags will be issued annually and shall be affixed to each pot or trap on board or in use.
(2) The department or an agent authorized by the department will issue the trap tags to an individual foodfish license holder. The fee for such trap tags will be established annually by the department and shall be paid in full before the license holder receives their tags for the current year.
(3) Tags issued under this section will be nonstransferable and shall be permanently attached to the fish pot or trap frame, clearly visible for inspection.
(e) Construction of escape vents and panels in fish pots or traps.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any fish pots or fish traps to be fished without an escape vent or vents of the type and dimensions described in paragraph (3) of this subdivision. The escape vents must be placed on a side, but not on the bottom, of that section of the pot or trap in which the fish are held immediately prior to their being removed by the fisher. Such vents must be located in a lower corner of the side upon which they are attached.
(2) In addition to the requirements set forth in paragraph (1) of this subdivision, fish pots or traps made of any material other than untreated natural wood or fiber must also contain on a side, but not the bottom, an escape panel that, when open, will provide an unobstructed opening of not less than six inches by six inches. The panel must incorporate escape vents having dimensions prescribed in paragraph (3) of this subdivision. If this panel is constructed of wood, it must be of untreated natural wood and not more than three-eights of an inch thick. If the panel is constructed of any material other than untreated natural wood, it must be held in the closed position with either untreated, uncoated ferrous wire not more than three thirty-seconds of an inch in diameter or an untreated natural fiber such as cotton, sisal, hemp or manila not more than three-sixteenths of an inch in diameter which when rotted or deteriorated will allow the panel to fall away and leave an unobstructed opening of at least six inches by six inches. If the pot or trap is constructed of nylon, polypropylene or any other synthetic fiber mesh netting placed over a frame, the escape panel may be made by having a section of the mesh netting on the outside of the parlor section comprised of an untreated natural fiber which when rotted out or deteriorated will leave an opening of at least the size specified in this subdivision:
(3) It is unlawful to take or possess any of the species listed in the following table, using fish pots or traps, unless the minimum requirements for either circular vents, rectangular vents, or wire mesh listed in the corresponding row of the table are met as described in paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subdivision:
|Species||Circular vents||Wire mesh|
|Black sea bass||2||2½″||2||1⅜ ″ × 5¾″ or 2″ × 2″||not applicable|
|Scup||1||3⅛″||1||2¼″ × 2¼″||not applicable|
|Tautog||1||3⅛″||not applicable||not applicable|
|Northern puffer||none required||none required||not applicable|
|American eels||not applicable||not applicable||4″ × 4″ panel with 1″ × ½″ mesh|
|all other fish||1||2⅜″||1||1⅛ ″ × 5¾″||not applicable|
(f) Disturbance of unattended fish pots or traps.
It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner or a law enforcement officer during performance of his or her duties, to intentionally disturb, or without the written consent of the owner on his or her person, take or remove the contents of an unattended fish pot or trap or willfully damage, take, remove or possess said pot or trap or any lines or buoys attached to it. Possession of such contents or gear without the consent of the owner shall be considered prima facie evidence of violation of this subdivision.
(g) Fish pots or traps—prohibited areas: artificial reefs.
It is unlawful to use fish pots or traps or to retain any fish caught by lobster pots on or within 500 feet of any of the following artificial reef sites:
(1) Rockaway Reef Site.
SIZE: 2000 yds by 1000 yds; 413 acres.
NW corner: 40°32.73′N latitude; 73°51.21′W longitude LORAN 26935.6 43753.5
NE corner: 40°32.73′N latitude; 73°49.92′W longitude LORAN 26925.5 43752.1
SE corner: 40°32.20′N latitude; 73°49.92′W longitude LORAN 26924.1 43746.9
SW corner: 40°32.20′N latitude; 73°51.21′W longitude LORAN 26934.1 43748.2
(2) McAllister Grounds Reef Site.
SIZE: 925 yds by 600 yds; 115 acres.
NW corner: 40°32.30′N latitude; 73°39.70′W longitude LORAN 26843.2 43735.6
NE corner: 40°32.30′N latitude; 73°39.20′W longitude LORAN 26839.3 43735.1
SE corner: 40°32.10′N latitude; 73°39.20′W longitude LORAN 26838.8 43733.2
SW corner: 40°32.10′N latitude; 73°39.70′W longitude LORAN 26842.7 43733.7
(3) Fire Island Reef Site.
SIZE: 3000 yds by 1200 yds; 744 acres.
NW corner: 40°36.10′N latitude; 73°13.50′W longitude LORAN 26640.9 43739.8
NE corner: 40°36.10′N latitude; 73°11.50′W longitude LORAN 26624.4 43737.7
SE corner: 40°35.60′N latitude; 73°11.50′W longitude LORAN 26632.2 43733.1
SW corner: 40°35.60′N latitude; 73°13.50′W longitude LORAN 26639.7 43735.2
(4) Moriches Reef Site.
SIZE: 450 yds by 150 yds; 14 acres.
NW corner: 40°43.47′N latitude; 72°46.64′W longitude LORAN 26432.9 43771.9
NE corner: 40°43.54′N latitude; 72°46.36′W longitude LORAN 26430.7 43772.1
SE corner: 40°43.47′N latitude; 72°46.33′W longitude LORAN 26430.5 43771.4
SW corner: 40°43.40′N latitude; 72°46.62′W longitude LORAN 26432.5 43771.2
(5) Shinnecock Reef Site.
SIZE: 680 yds by 250 yds; 35 acres.
NW corner: 40°46.16′N latitude; 72°28.67′W longitude LORAN 26289.0 43788.0
NE corner: 40°48.21′N latitude; 72°28.30′W longitude LORAN 26286.0 43788.0
SE corner: 40°48.09′N latitude; 72°28.33′W longitude LORAN 26286.0 43787.0
SW corner: 40°48.04′N latitude; 72°28.70′W longitude LORAN 26289.0 43787.0
(6) Yellowbar Reef Site.
SIZE: 400 yds by 85 yds; 7 acres.
NW corner: 40°37.93′N latitude; 73°14.64′W longitude LORAN 26654.0 43756.5
NE corner: 40°38.04′N latitude; 73°14.39′W longitude LORAN 26652.1 43757.2
SE corner: 40°38.01′N latitude; 73°14.37′W longitude LORAN 26651.8 43756.9
SW corner: 40°37.90′N latitude; 73°14.63′W longitude LORAN 26653.7 43756.1
(7) Kismet Reef Site.
SIZE: 1000 yds by 50 yds; 10 acres.
NW corner: 40°38.11′N latitude; 73°13.06′W longitude LORAN 26641.3 43756.1
NE corner: 40°38.28′N latitude; 73°12.45′W longitude LORAN 26636.7 43757.0
SE corner: 40°38.26′N latitude; 73°12.44′W longitude LORAN 26636.5 43756.7
SW corner: 40°38.09′N latitude; 73°13.05′W longitude LORAN 26641.2 43755.9
(8) Smithtown Reef Site.
SIZE: 150 yds by 100 yds; 3 acres.
NW corner: 40°55.97′N latitude; 73°11.20′W longitude LORAN 26671.9 43916.3
NE corner: 40°56.01′N latitude; 73°11.13′W longitude LORAN 26671.4 43916.5
SE corner: 40°55.96′N latitude; 73°11.10′W longitude LORAN 26671.0 43916.1
SW corner: 40°55.92′N latitude; 73°11.17′W longitude LORAN 26671.6 43915.8
(9) Matinecock Reef Site.
SIZE: 800 yds by 250 yds; 41 acres.
NW corner: 40°54.58′N latitude; 73°37.74′W longitude LORAN 26891.4 43943.7
NE corner: 40°54.69′N latitude; 73°37.25′W longitude LORAN 26887.6 43944.0
SE corner: 40°54.58′N latitude; 73°37.21′W longitude LORAN 26887.0 43943.0
SW corner: 40°54.48′N latitude; 73°37.70′W longitude LORAN 26890.8 43942.7
6 CRR-NY 40.6
Current through July 31, 2020
|End of Document|