17 CRR-NY 154-1.12NY-CRR
17 CRR-NY 154-1.12
17 CRR-NY 154-1.12
154-1.12 Escort and certified escort vehicle requirements.
The department may require the use of a certified or non-certified escort vehicle(s) in any permit if it determines that public safety so requires. Generally, a certified escort vehicle(s) provision will be included in permits where the vehicle is greater than 12 feet in width; 80 feet or more in length; 14 feet or more in height; with an overhang of 10 feet or more; or where subject to a permit speed restriction. Generally a non-certified escort vehicle(s) provision may be included in permits for self-propelled cranes where the vehicle is over 11 feet in width; 55 feet in length; over legal height; with an overhang of more than 15 feet; which cannot maintain a minimum speed of 45 miles per hour on interstate highways of 30 miles per hour on other highways; or where subject to a speed restriction. A certified escort vehicle(s) requirement may be included in permits for self-propelled cranes when the vehicle significantly exceeds the above limits; where public safety so requires; or where it is likely that traffic control services will be required (i.e., Where vehicle exceeds width of pavement by greater than two feet; vehicle overhang exceeds 50 feet; opposite direction traffic must be controlled to allow for crane movement; road closure is necessary due to highway geometry or similar situations, etc.).
(a) Escort vehicle.
An escort vehicle shall display a warning sign conforming with the material, color, and size requirements as described in section 154-1.13 of this Subpart and be located on the roof of the vehicle without interfering with the visibility of the warning lights. The vehicle shall be equipped with steady burning, revolving or flashing amber lights above the highest point of the vehicles and visible front and rear. If an automobile is used as the escort vehicle, it shall have a minimum internal volume of 100 cubic feet. The escort vehicle shall not be attached to the permitted vehicle in any manner.
(b) Certified escort vehicle.
A certified escort vehicle shall display a warning sign conforming with the material, color, and size requirements as described in section 154-1.13 of this Subpart and be located on the front and rear of the vehicle without interfering with the headlights, taillights or license plate or be located on the roof of the vehicle without interfering with the visibility of the bar light. Certified escort vehicles shall have a minimum wheelbase of at least 100 inches unless otherwise authorized by the Department of Transportation. Any certified escort vehicle 1997 or newer model year will not be exempted from the minimum wheelbase requirement unless such vehicle is a utility vehicle approved by the Department of Transportation. The certified escort vehicle shall not be attached to the permitted vehicle in any manner.
(c) Certified escort vehicle equipment.
The following equipment is mandatory for all certified escort vehicles:
(1) A two-way radio sufficient to provide communication between the certified escort vehicle and the vehicle being escorted.
(2) An operational cellular telephone is required in either the escort vehicle or the permitted load vehicle.
(3) Three emergency triangles and/or flares.
(4) Three emergency flares are required for permitted night moves.
(5) An orange fluorescent vest with certified escort insignia on left chest of vest conforming to the size, color, wording and configuration below.
(6) Two insignias per car, one on the driver's side door and one on the front passenger's side door. The insignia may be attached to the vehicle as a magnetized sign, a peel and stick sign or be painted. The sign shall conform to the size, color, wording and configuration below.
(7) An 18 inch or larger stop paddle.
(8) Two 18 inch by 18 inch red or orange fluorescent flags on staffs.
(9) A class 5bc or larger rated fire extinguisher.
(10) Every front escort shall have a measuring device attached to the vehicle when escorting an over height load.
(d) Certified escorts drivers shall conform to all requirements of the “New York State Certified Escort Manual.”
17 CRR-NY 154-1.12
Current through April 15, 2021
|End of Document|