8 CRR-NY 201.4NY-CRR
8 CRR-NY 201.4
8 CRR-NY 201.4
201.4 Manifestation determinations.
(a) General requirement for manifestation review.
A review of the relationship between the student's disability and the behavior subject to disciplinary action to determine if the conduct is a manifestation of the disability must be made immediately, if possible, but in no case later than 10 school days after:
(1) a decision is made by a superintendent of schools to change the placement of a student to an interim alternative educational setting pursuant to section 201.7(e) of this Part;
(2) a decision is made by an impartial hearing officer to place a student in an interim alternative educational setting pursuant to section 201.8 of this Part; or
(3) a decision is made by a board of education, district superintendent of schools, building principal or superintendent pursuant to section 201.7(a) or (b) of this Part to impose a suspension that constitutes a disciplinary change in placement.
(b) Individuals to carry out review.
A review described in subdivision (a) of this section shall be conducted by a manifestation team in a meeting, which shall include a representative of the school district knowledgeable about the student and the interpretation of information about child behavior, the parent and relevant members of the CSE as determined by the parent and the school district. The parent must receive written notification prior to any manifestation team meeting to ensure that the parent has an opportunity to attend. The notification shall inform the parent of the purpose of the meeting, the names of the individuals expected to attend and inform the parent of his or her right to have relevant members of the CSE participate at the parent's request.
(c) Conduct of review.
The manifestation team shall review all relevant information in the student's file including the student's IEP, any teacher observations, and any relevant information provided by the parents to determine if:
(1) the conduct in question was caused by or had a direct and substantial relationship to the student's disability; or
(2) the conduct in question was the direct result of the school district's failure to implement the IEP.
(1) The conduct must be determined to be a manifestation of the student's disability if the manifestation team determines that a condition in either paragraph (c)(1) or (2) of this section was met.
(2) If the manifestation team determines that the conduct was a manifestation of the student's disability, the CSE shall:
(i) conduct a functional behavioral assessment and implement a behavioral intervention plan for such student in accordance with section 201.3 of this Part; and
(ii) except as provided in section 201.7(e) of this Part, return the student to the placement from which the student was removed, unless the parent and the school district agree to a change of placement as part of the modification of the behavioral intervention plan.
(e) Deficiencies in IEP.
If the manifestation team determines the conduct in question was the direct result of the school district's failure to implement the IEP, the school district must take immediate steps to remedy those deficiencies.
8 CRR-NY 201.4
Current through May 15, 2021
|End of Document|