(a) The State Library Agency shall establish the Deaf Culture Digital Library as the primary information center on deaf resources for library customers and staff in the State.
Duties of Library
(b) The Deaf Culture Digital Library shall:
(1) Conduct a needs assessment to identify gaps in library services for deaf patrons and to implement strategies to fill the gaps and better coordinate library services for the deaf;
(2) In coordination with the Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, develop and provide sensitivity training for State and county library staff to help them better understand deaf patrons and their needs;
(3) Develop a website that will allow for information sharing and coordination between the Deaf Culture Digital Library and county library systems;
(4) In coordination with the State Library Agency, develop deaf-related programs and materials and share them with county library systems and other libraries in the State;
(5) Develop partnerships and strategic alliances with other entities, including:
(i) The Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing;
(ii) County library systems;
(iii) The State Library Agency;
(iv) Veterans' groups;
(v) State and local arts councils;
(vi) Senior citizens organizations; and
(vii) Deaf and hard of hearing organizations, including:
1. The National Association of the Deaf;
2. The Hearing Loss Association of America; and
3. The Maryland Association of the Deaf;
(6) Encourage partnerships and collaborations with information service providers to help provide virtual access to information and research;
(7) Form a Deaf Culture Digital Library Advisory Board to provide advice on initiatives that further advance the mission and goals of the Deaf Culture Digital Library and the majority of whose members are deaf or hard of hearing and selected from the following entities:
(i) County library systems;
(ii) The State Library Agency;
(iii) The Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing;
(iv) Statewide deaf and hard of hearing organizations; and
(v) Other organizations as agreed on by the Governor's Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing and the State Library Agency; and
(8) Establish a Deaf Culture Digital Library “Friends of the Library” group composed of individuals who are strongly committed, well-positioned, and able to promote community involvement, advocacy, and funding for the Deaf Culture Digital Library.
Qualifications of lead employee or coordinator
(c) The lead employee or coordinator who manages the Deaf Culture Digital Library shall be:
(1) A deaf or hard of hearing individual; and
(2) Knowledgeable and experienced concerning issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing individuals.
Added as Education § 23-108 by Acts 2014, c. 606, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2014. Renumbered as Education § 23-109 and amended by Acts 2017, c. 337, § 1, eff. July 1, 2017; Acts 2017, c. 338, § 1, eff. July 1, 2017. Amended by Acts 2018, c. 12, § 1, eff. April 5, 2018.
MD Code, Education, § 23-109, MD EDUC § 23-109
Current with legislation effective through June 1, 2023, from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.