(a) In addition to any other powers granted and duties imposed by this title, and subject to the authority of the State Library Board, the State Library Agency has the powers and duties set forth in this section.
Duties of State Library Agency
(b) The State Library Agency shall:
(1) Provide leadership and guidance for the planning and coordinated development of library and information service in this State;
(2) Develop statewide public and school library services and networks, resource centers, and other arrangements to meet the library and information needs of this State;
(3) Provide professional and technical advice on improving library services in this State to:
(i) Public and school library officials;
(ii) Higher education and special library officials;
(iii) State government agencies; and
(iv) Any other person;
(4)(i) Collect library statistics and other data;
(ii) Identify library needs and provide for needed research and studies of them; and
(iii) Coordinate library services with other information and education services and agencies;
(5) Administer federal and State funds appropriated to it by the State for library purposes;
(6)(i) Develop and recommend professional standards and policies for libraries; and
(ii) Establish requirements and procedures for the certification of librarians and library personnel;
(i) Specialized library service to the blind and other print disabled individuals in this State; and
(ii) Other desirable specialized library services;
(8) Encourage, advise, and assist in establishing, operating, and coordinating libraries at State institutions and agencies and administer the operation of library and information services for the State Library Board;
(9) Administer the State grant program for county public library capital projects, in accordance with § 23-509 of this title;
(10) Adopt guidelines for the administration of public libraries and recommend to the State Library Board rules and regulations to implement this title;
(11) Cooperate with national library agencies and those of any other state;
(12) Develop a Deaf Culture Digital Library in accordance with § 23-109 of this subtitle; and
(13) Perform any other duty necessary for its proper operation.
Added as Education § 23-105 by Acts 1978, c. 22, § 2, eff. July 1, 1978. Amended by Acts 2000, c. 61, § 1, eff. April 25, 2000; Acts 2006, c. 494, § 1, eff. July 1, 2006; Acts 2008, c. 36, § 6, eff. April 8, 2008; Acts 2014, c. 606, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2014. Renumbered as Education § 23-106 and amended by Acts 2017, c. 337, § 1, eff. July 1, 2017; Acts 2017, c. 338, § 1, eff. July 1, 2017. Amended by Acts 2019, c. 6, § 1, eff. June 1, 2019; Acts 2020, c. 272, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2020; Acts 2020, c. 273, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2020.
MD Code, Education, § 23-106, MD EDUC § 23-106
Current with all legislation from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.