West's Annotated Code of Maryland
Title 21. Vehicle Laws--Rules of the Road (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle 9. Reckless, Negligent, or Impaired Driving; Fleeing or Eluding Police (Refs & Annos)
Effective: July 1, 2016
MD Code, Transportation, § 21-903
§ 21-903. Drivers prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages while driving
(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Alcoholic beverage” means a spirituous, vinous, malt, or fermented liquor, liquid, or compound that contains at least 0.5% alcohol by volume and is fit for beverage purposes.
(3)(i) “Passenger area” means an area that:
1. Is designed to seat the driver and any passenger of a motor vehicle while the motor vehicle is in operation; or
2. Is readily accessible to the driver or a passenger of a motor vehicle while in their seating positions.
(ii) “Passenger area” does not include:
1. A locked glove compartment;
2. The trunk of a motor vehicle; or
3. If a motor vehicle is not equipped with a trunk, the area behind the rearmost upright seat or an area that is not normally occupied by the driver or a passenger of the motor vehicle.
(b) This section applies to a motor vehicle that is driven, stopped, standing, or otherwise located on a highway.
Drivers prohibited from consuming alcoholic beverages while driving
(c) A driver of a motor vehicle may not consume an alcoholic beverage in a passenger area of a motor vehicle on a highway.
Application of section throughout State
(d) Notwithstanding § 6-320, § 6-321, or § 6-322 of the Alcoholic Beverages Article, or any other provision of law, the prohibition contained in this section applies throughout the State.
Added by Acts 1985, c. 504. Amended by Acts 2002, c. 108, § 1, eff. Sept. 30, 2002; Acts 2002, c. 109, § 1, eff. Sept. 30, 2002; Acts 2006, c. 127, § 1, eff. July 1, 2006; Acts 2016, c. 228, § 1, eff. July 1, 2016.
Current with all legislation from the 2021 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.