(1) shall be in premises owned or leased by a permit holder;
(2) may not be within a 35-mile radius of any mile thoroughbred track or harness track unless approved by the track licensee, the group that represents a majority of the applicable owners and trainers licensed in the State and the group that represents a majority of the applicable breeders in the State, considered separately;
(3) unless the track agrees otherwise, may not operate during hours on those days that racing with pari-mutuel betting is permitted at a racetrack located in this State within a 35-mile radius of the satellite simulcast facility; and
(4) shall offer pari-mutuel betting facilities and amenities that the Commission finds are appropriate for the area where the satellite simulcast facility is located.
(b)(1) A mile thoroughbred racing licensee or a harness racing licensee:
(i) shall own or lease the pari-mutuel betting equipment at a satellite simulcast facility; and
(ii) except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, shall, with its employees, operate the equipment.
(2)(i) In this paragraph, “sports wagering licensee” has the meaning stated in § 9-1E-01 of the State Government Article.
(ii) Subject to the approval of the Commission and the State Lottery and Gaming Control Commission:
1. a self-service kiosk at a satellite simulcast facility that is located in a sports wagering facility may accept both satellite simulcast bets and sports wagers, provided that the kiosk separately accounts for the different types of wagers and meets all specifications and requirements established by regulation by the State Lottery Gaming Control Commission; and
2. a mile thoroughbred racing licensee or a harness racing licensee may enter into an agreement with a sports wagering licensee authorizing the employees of the sports wagering licensee to operate the pari-mutuel betting equipment and to accept pari-mutuel bets on horse racing in a satellite simulcast facility.
(c) A mile thoroughbred racing licensee or a harness racing licensee shall submit to the Commission all contracts and agreements relating to satellite simulcast betting under this subtitle.
(d)(1) The Commission shall periodically be assured by permit holders that facilities continue to meet the requirements of this section.
(2)(i) The Commission shall inspect satellite simulcast facilities at least four times each year to determine if the permit holders are continuing to comply with the provisions of this section.
(ii) The inspections under this subsection shall include evaluations of the financial and physical conditions of each satellite simulcast facility.
(3) If the Commission finds that a permit holder is not complying with the provisions of this section, the Commission may impose a penalty on the permit holder similar to those penalties levied on licensees as provided under § 11-308 of this title.
Added by Acts 1992, c. 473, § 2. Amended by Acts 2000, c. 269, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2000; Acts 2000, c. 309, § 1, eff. July 1, 2000; Acts 2022, c. 256, § 1, eff. July 1, 2022; Acts 2022, c. 257, § 1, eff. July 1, 2022.
MD Code, Business Regulation, § 11-825, MD BUS REG § 11-825
Current through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.