(a)(1) This subsection does not limit the right of an individual to provide for distribution of property by will.
(2) Except as provided in § 2-123 of the Real Property Article, after a court enters an order for adoption under this subtitle:
(i) the adoptee:
1. is the child of the adoptive parent for all intents and purposes; and
2. is entitled to all of the rights and privileges of and is subject to all of the obligations of offspring born to the adoptive parent;
(ii) each of the adoptee's living parents is:
1. relieved of all parental duties and obligations to the adoptee; and
2. divested of all parental rights as to the adoptee; and
(iii) the Estates and Trusts Article shall govern all of the rights of inheritance between the adoptee and parental relatives.
Effect on pending cases
(b) An order for adoption under this subtitle terminates all pending guardianship cases as to the adoptee.
Adoption of adult
(c) Adoption of an adult has the same legal effect as adoption of a minor.
Notice of order
(d)(1) When a court enters an order for a child's adoption under this subtitle, the court shall send notice to:
(i) each court that has a pending guardianship case as to the adoptee;
(ii) each of the child's living, former parents who has not waived the right to notice; and
(iii) the former guardian of the child.
(2) Service on a parent under this subsection shall be at the parent's last address known to the court.
Added as Family Law § 5-3A-35 by Acts 2005, c. 464, § 3, eff. Jan. 1, 2006. Renumbered as Family Law § 5-3A-36 by Acts 2006, c. 365, § 1, eff. June 1, 2006. Amended by Acts 2006, c. 365, § 2, eff. June 1, 2006.
MD Code, Family Law, § 5-3A-36, MD FAMILY § 5-3A-36
Current through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.