(a)(1) An owner of a vessel that has a valid document issued by the United States Coast Guard and that is used principally on the waters of the State for pleasure shall apply to the Department for a Maryland use sticker.
(2) The Department shall issue a Maryland use sticker to any person who submits an application and pays a fee as required by subsection (b) of this section.
(3) The Maryland use sticker issued under this section shall be valid for a period not to exceed 2 years expiring on December 31 of the calendar year following the year the sticker is issued.
Application, application fee
(b) The owner of the vessel shall:
(1) Submit an application to the Department on the form that the Department requires and be signed by every owner of the vessel; and
(2) Pay to the Department an application fee of $10 for the 2-year sticker.
Transfer of a sticker
(c) Within 30 days after the sale or other transfer of a vessel that is displaying or should display a sticker under this section:
(1) The transferor shall give notice of the transfer to the Department on a form that the Department requires; and
(2) If the transferee intends to continue to use the vessel principally on the waters of the State, the transferee shall submit an application for a Maryland use sticker and pay the fee as required by subsection (b) of this section.
Display of sticker
(d) The Maryland use sticker shall be displayed on or about the forward half of the vessel.
(e) Unless the vessel that is subject to the requirement of this section displays a current sticker:
(1) A person may not operate the vessel on the waters of the State; and
(2) The owner may not knowingly permit the vessel to be operated on the waters of the State.
Added by Acts 1981, c. 359. Amended by Acts 1984, c. 589; Acts 1990, c. 6, § 2; Acts 1994, c. 434, § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1995; Acts 2001, c. 29, § 1, eff. April 10, 2001.