West's Annotated Code of Maryland
Human Services (Refs & Annos)
Title 3. Local Departments of Social Services (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle 3. Local Directors (Refs & Annos)
Effective: October 1, 2007
MD Code, Human Services, § 3-301
“Local executive authority” defined
(a) In this section, “local executive authority” means:
(1) except as provided in item (2) of this subsection, the county executive of a county that has a charter form of government;
(2) the County Council of Talbot County;
(3) the county commissioners of a county that does not have a charter form of government; or
(4) the Mayor of Baltimore City.
(b)(1) In each county, the local director shall be appointed with the concurrence of the Secretary and the appropriate local executive authority or its designee.
(2) The local executive authority or its designee shall meet and consult with the local board before the appointment of the local director.
(c) A local director shall have:
(1) a master's degree in social work or a related field;
(2) at least 5 years of professional employment in social services administration or supervision; and
(3) any other qualifications and training that the Secretary requires by regulation.
(d)(1) The Secretary, the local executive authority or its designee, and the local board shall:
(i) at least annually, evaluate the local director in writing; and
(ii) jointly review their respective evaluations with the local director.
(2) In consultation with the local board, the local governing authority of each county shall establish by ordinance or resolution the process for evaluating the local director.
(i) establish by regulation the process by which the Secretary will evaluate the local directors; and
(ii) notify the local board of any significant deficiencies in the administration of the local department.
(e)(1) A local director may be removed from office with the concurrence of the Secretary and the appropriate local executive authority or its designee.
(2) The appropriate local executive authority or its designee shall meet and consult with the local board before the removal of a local director.
(f)(1) A local director shall be in the executive service or management service of the State Personnel Management System.
(2) Each deputy director and assistant director of the Baltimore City Department of Social Services shall be in the management service of the State Personnel Management System.
(3) Except as provided in § 3-403.1 of this title, the Director of the Department of Social Services in Montgomery County is a member of the Employees' Pension System.
Added by Acts 2007, c. 3, § 2, eff. Oct. 1, 2007. Amended by Acts 2007, c. 8, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2007; Acts 2007, c. 455, § 2, eff. Oct. 1, 2007.
Current with legislation effective through July 1, 2023, from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.