Established; composition; chairman; per diem; meetings; quorum; statement of employment and financial interest; recusal
(a)(1) There is a Land Reclamation Committee. It consists of the following 13 members:
(i) Two members of the Department, including a chairman of the Committee appointed by the Secretary;
(ii) A representative of the soil conservation district of Allegany County;
(iii) A representative of the soil conservation district of Garrett County;
(iv) Two members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate for 3-year terms to represent the mining industry;
(v) One member who is a representative of Allegany County to be appointed by the Governor, on the recommendation of the Allegany County Commissioners, with the advice and consent of the Senate to represent the local government for a 3-year term;
(vi) One member who is a representative of Garrett County to be appointed by the Governor, on the recommendation of the Garrett County Commissioners, with the advice and consent of the House of Delegates to represent local government for a 3-year term;
(vii) Two members from the community who do not have any interests in any mining operation, one to be a resident of Garrett County and one to be a resident of Allegany County, appointed by the Secretary for 3-year terms; and
(viii) Three members of the Department of Natural Resources appointed by the Secretary of Natural Resources.
(2) Committee members representing the community or local government shall receive the per diem set by the Secretary for each day they meet with the Committee or are called on by the chairman to transact other business of the Committee. Funds for the per diem allowances shall be provided for in the budget of the Department.
(3) The Committee shall meet at the chairman's request and at least twice a year. A quorum consists of at least 9 members. No action may be approved by the Committee unless a quorum is present and a majority of those present approves the action.
(4) Members of the Land Reclamation Committee shall file a United States Department of the Interior State Employee Statement of Employment and Financial Interests.
(5) Committee members shall recuse themselves from proceedings that may affect their direct or indirect financial interests.
Powers and duties
(b) The Committee may:
(1) Study and recommend surface coal mine reclamation policies, practices, and standards;
(2) From time to time, review the surface coal mining laws, regulations, and policies for the purpose of recommending changes to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the program;
(3) Review proposed changes to the surface coal mining laws and regulations to provide comments to the General Assembly and the Department;
(4) Review the Department's administration of the surface coal mining regulatory program and the abandoned coal mine reclamation program to determine compliance with the purpose of the subtitles;
(5) Enter on any surface coal mining operation to determine mining and reclamation conditions; and
(6) Recommend research, demonstration, and cost-sharing projects to promote optimum revegetation of surface coal mined lands.
Added by Acts 1973, 1st Sp. Sess., c. 4, § 1. Amended by Acts 1974, c. 672; Acts 1976, c. 180; Acts 1976, c. 354; Acts 1979, c. 581; Acts 1980, c. 27; Acts 1981, c. 747; Acts 1982, c. 299; Acts 1982, c. 357; Acts 1987, c. 306, § 3; Acts 1989, c. 310; Acts 1992, c. 609. Renumbered from Natural Resources § 7-205 and amended by Acts 1995, c. 488, §§ 2, 8, eff. July 1, 1995; Acts, 1997, c. 223, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1997; Acts 2001, c. 95, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2001.
Formerly Art. 66C, § 660.
MD Code, Environment, § 15-204, MD ENVIR § 15-204
Current with legislation effective through July 1, 2023, from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.