West's Annotated Code of Maryland
Health Occupations (Refs & Annos)
Title 8. Nurses (Refs & Annos)
Subtitle 6b. Electrologists (Refs & Annos)
Effective: July 1, 2014
MD Code, Health Occupations, § 8-6B-05
§ 8-6B-05. Electrology Practice Committee
(a) There is an Electrology Practice Committee within the Board.
(b)(1) The Committee consists of three members appointed by the Board.
(2) Of the three Committee members:
(i) Two shall be licensed electrologists or licensed electrology instructors; and
(ii) One shall be a consumer member.
US citizenship, State residency requirements
(c) Each member of the Committee shall be a citizen of the United States and a resident of the State.
(d) Each electrologist member of the Committee shall have practiced electrology actively in the State for at least 5 years immediately before appointment.
(e) The consumer member of the Committee:
(1) Shall be a member of the general public;
(2) May not be or ever have been:
(ii) A health care professional; or
(iii) In training to be an electrologist or a health care professional;
(3) May not have a household member who is an electrologist, a health care professional, in training to be an electrologist, or in training to be a health care professional; and
(i) Participate or ever have participated in a commercial or professional field related to electrology;
(ii) Have a household member who participates in a commercial or professional field related to electrology; or
(iii) Have, or have had within 2 years before appointment, a substantial financial interest in a person regulated by the Board.
(f)(1) The term of a member is 4 years.
(2) The terms of the members are staggered as required by the provisions for members of the Committee on July 1, 2003.
(3) At the end of a term, a member continues to serve until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(4) A member who is appointed after a term has begun serves only for the rest of the term and until a successor is appointed and qualifies.
(5) A member may not serve more than two consecutive full terms.
(6) To the extent practicable, the Board shall fill any vacancy on the Committee within 60 days of the date of the vacancy.
(g) A majority of the full authorized membership of the Committee is a quorum.
Meetings requested or necessary to conduct business
(h) In addition to any other meeting requirements of this title, the Committee shall meet:
(1) At the request of the executive director of the Board; or
(2) As necessary to conduct Board business.
Compensation or reimbursement for expenses
(i) In accordance with the State budget, each member of the Committee is entitled to:
(1) Compensation, at a rate determined by the Board, for each day, or part of a day, on which the member is engaged in the duties of the Committee; and
(2) Reimbursement for expenses under the Standard State Travel Regulations.
(j)(1) The Board may remove a member for incompetence or misconduct.
(2) The Board may remove a member who is absent from two successive Committee meetings without adequate reason.
Added by Acts 2003, c. 422, § 2, eff. July 1, 2003. Amended by Acts 2010, c. 48, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2010; Acts 2010, c. 49, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2010; Acts 2014, c. 154, § 1, eff. July 1, 2014; Acts 2014, c. 258, § 1, eff. July 1, 2014.
Current with legislation effective through July 1, 2023, from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.