(a) In addition to any other units, the Division shall include the units enumerated in this section.
(b)(1) There is an Employment Standards Service Unit in the Division.
(2) Under the direction of the Commissioner, the Employment Standards Service Unit shall:
(i) enforce Title 3, Subtitle 2 of this article;
(ii) carry out Title 3, Subtitle 3 of this article;
(iii) enforce Title 3, Subtitle 4 of this article; and
(iv) enforce Title 3, Subtitle 5 of this article.
Mediation and conciliation
(c) There is a State Mediation and Conciliation Service in the Division.
(d)(1) There is a research and information unit in the Division.
(2) Under the direction of the Commissioner, the research and information unit shall collect, organize, and report statistical information on matters within the jurisdiction of the Division.
Safety Engineering and Education Service
(e) There is a Safety Engineering and Education Service in the Division.
(f)(1) There is a Prevailing Wage Unit in the Division.
(2) Under the direction of the Commissioner, the Prevailing Wage Unit shall administer and enforce Title 17, Subtitle 2 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(3)(i) The Prevailing Wage Unit shall advise and submit recommendations to the Commissioner on the Commissioner's functions under Title 17, Subtitle 2 of the State Finance and Procurement Article.
(ii) The Commissioner shall ask other units of the State government or units of local governments to provide statistical data, reports, and other information to help the Prevailing Wage Unit carry out its duties.
(g) Notwithstanding the funding provisions of § 3-919 of this article, for fiscal year 2007 and for each subsequent fiscal year, the Governor shall include in the annual budget bill submitted to the General Assembly an appropriation for the Division of Labor and Industry sufficient to implement the provisions of this section, including amounts not less than:
(1) $315,000 for implementation of the Employment Standards Service Unit in the Division; and
(2) $385,000 for implementation of the Prevailing Wage Unit in the Division.
Added by Acts 1991, c. 8, § 2, eff. Oct. 1, 1991. Amended by Acts 2005, c. 444, § 1, eff. July 1, 2005; Acts 2009, c. 188, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2009; Acts 2013, c. 224, § 1, eff. July 1, 2013.
Formerly Art. 89, §§ 2, 3, 49.
Current with legislation effective through June 1, 2023, from the 2023 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.