(a)(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Concussion” means a traumatic injury to the brain causing an immediate and, usually, short-lived change in mental status or an alteration of normal consciousness resulting from:
(i) A fall;
(ii) A violent blow to the head or body; or
(iii) The shaking or spinning of the head or body.
(3) “Sudden cardiac arrest” means a condition in which the heart suddenly and unexpectedly stops beating.
(4) “Youth athlete” means an individual who participates in an athletic activity in association with a youth sports program conducted:
(i) At a public school facility; or
(ii) By a recreational athletic organization.
(5) “Youth sports program” means a program organized for recreational athletic competition or instruction for participants who are under the age of 19 years.
Availability of information relating to concussions
(b)(1) A youth sports program shall make available information on concussions, head injuries, and sudden cardiac arrest developed by the State Department of Education under §§ 7-433 and 7-436 of the Education Article to coaches, youth athletes, and the parents or guardians of youth athletes.
(2) A coach of a youth sports program shall review the information provided in paragraph (1) of this subsection.
Removal of youth athletes from play
(c)(1) A youth athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or other head injury in a practice or game shall be removed from play at that time.
(2) A youth athlete who has been removed from play may not return to play until the youth athlete has obtained written clearance from a licensed health care provider trained in the evaluation and management of concussions.
Notice of requirements
(d) Before a youth sports program may use a facility owned or operated by a local government, the local government shall provide notice to the youth sports program of the requirements of this section.
Added by Acts 2011, c. 548, § 1, eff. July 1, 2011; Acts 2011, c. 549, § 1, eff. July 1, 2011. Amended by Acts 2011, c. 65, § 5, eff. April 12, 2011; Acts 2014, c. 403, § 1, eff. July 1, 2014.
MD Code, Health - General, § 14-501, MD HEALTH GEN § 14-501
Current with all legislation from the 2021 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.