(a)(1) In this section, “member” includes a student, former student, parent of a student or former student, present or former board member, and staff member of an accredited school, college, or university.
(2) In this section, “member” does not include an individual who is granted membership on making a charitable contribution as the result of a charitable solicitation.
(b)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, this title does not apply to fund-raising by a volunteer organization of firefighters or rescue or ambulance personnel for its ambulance, fire fighting, or rescue operations.
(2) This title applies to a public safety solicitor employed by a volunteer organization of firefighters or rescue or ambulance personnel.
(c)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a charitable organization is exempt from the registration and disclosure requirements of this title if the charitable organization:
(i) does not employ a professional solicitor; and
(ii) 1. solicits charitable contributions for a named individual and the gross amount is delivered to the individual;
2. A. is a religious organization, a parent organization of a religious organization, or a school affiliated with a religious organization; and
B. has in effect a declaration of tax-exempt status from the government of the United States;
3. solicits charitable contributions only from its members;
4. does not receive more than $25,000 in charitable contributions from the public during the year for which a registration statement and annual report otherwise would be required; or
5. only receives contributions from for-profit corporations and organizations determined to be private foundations by the government of the United States.
(2)(i) A charitable organization claiming exemption under paragraph (1) of this subsection shall submit evidence of its entitlement to an exemption upon request of the Secretary of State.
(ii) A charitable organization that fails to submit evidence satisfactory to the Secretary of State under subparagraph (i) of this paragraph is not exempt from the requirements of this title.
Added by Acts 1992, c. 4, § 2. Amended by Acts 1993, c. 386, § 3; Acts 1995, c. 89, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1995; Acts 1996, c. 371, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1996; Acts 2000, c. 43, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2000; Acts 2000, c. 61, § 1, eff. April 25, 2000; Acts 2000, c. 500, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2000.
Formerly Art. 41, §§ 3-201, 3-203.
Current through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.