(a)(1) In this section the following terms have the meanings indicated.
(2) “Fifth pathway program” means a program that the Board approves in its regulations for a student who:
(i) Has studied medicine at a foreign medical school;
(ii) Was a United States citizen when the student enrolled in the foreign medical school; and
(iii) Has completed all of the formal requirements for graduation from the foreign medical school, except for any social service or postgraduate requirements.
(3) “Foreign medical school” means a medical school located outside of the United States, its territories or possessions, Puerto Rico, or Canada.
(b) An applicant for a license is exempt from the educational requirements of § 14-307 of this subtitle, if the applicant:
(1) Has studied medicine at a foreign medical school;
(2) Is certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates or by its successor as approved by the Board;
(3) Passes a qualifying examination for foreign medical school graduates required by the Board;
(4) Meets any other qualifications for foreign medical school graduates that the Board establishes in its regulation for licensing of applicants;
(5) Submits acceptable evidence to the Board of the requirements set in the Board's regulations; and
(6) Meets one of the following requirements:
(i) The applicant graduated from any foreign medical school and submits evidence acceptable to the Board of successful completion of 2 years of training in a postgraduate medical education program accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the Board; or
(ii) The applicant successfully completed a fifth pathway program and submits evidence acceptable to the Board that the applicant:
1. Has a document issued by the foreign medical school certifying that the applicant completed all of the formal requirements of that school for the study of medicine, except for the postgraduate or social service components as required by the foreign country or its medical school;
2. Has successfully completed a fifth pathway program; and
3. Has successfully completed 2 years of training in a postgraduate medical education program following completion of a Board approved fifth pathway program.
Added as Health Occupations § 14-306 by Acts 1981, c. 8, § 2, eff. July 1, 1981. Amended by Acts 1987, c. 660, § 1, eff. July 1, 1987. Renumbered as Health Occupations § 14-308 by Acts 1990, c. 6, § 11, eff. Feb. 16, 1990. Amended by Acts 1992, c. 22, § 1, eff. April 7, 1992; Acts 1992, c. 304, § 1, eff. July 1, 1992; Acts 2000, c. 140, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 2000.
Formerly Art. 43, § 123A.
MD Code, Health Occupations, § 14-308, MD HEALTH OCCUP § 14-308
Current through all legislation from the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly. Some statute sections may be more current, see credits for details.