§ 1820.205. Medical Necessity Criteria for Reimbursement of Psychiatric Inpatient Hospital Serv...
9 CA ADC § 1820.205BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 9. Rehabilitative and Developmental Services
Division 1. Department of Mental Health
Chapter 11. Medi-Cal Specialty Mental Health Services
Subchapter 2. Medi-Cal Psychiatric Inpatient Hospital Services
Article 2. Provision of Services
9 CCR § 1820.205
§ 1820.205. Medical Necessity Criteria for Reimbursement of Psychiatric Inpatient Hospital Services.
(a) For Medi-Cal reimbursement for an admission to a hospital for psychiatric inpatient hospital services, the beneficiary shall meet medical necessity criteria set forth in Subsections (a)(1)-(2) below:
(1) One of the following diagnoses in theDiagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, DSM-IVE(1994), published by the American Psychiatric Association:
(A) Pervasive Developmental Disorders
(B) Disruptive Behavior and Attention Deficit Disorders
(C) Feeding and Eating Disorders of Infancy or Early Childhood
(D) Tic Disorders
(E) Elimination Disorders
(F) Other Disorders of Infancy, Childhood, or Adolescence
(G) Cognitive Disorders (only Dementias with Delusions, or Depressed Mood)
(H) Substance Induced Disorders, only with Psychotic, Mood, or Anxiety Disorder
(I) Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
(J) Mood Disorders
(K) Anxiety Disorders
(L) Somatoform Disorders
(M) Dissociative Disorders
(N) Eating Disorders
(O) Intermittent Explosive Disorder
(Q) Adjustment Disorders
(R) Personality Disorders
(2) Both the following criteria:
(A) Cannot be safely treated at a lower level of care, except that a beneficiary who can be safely treated with crisis residential treatment services or psychiatric health facility services for an acute psychiatric episode shall be considered to have met this criterion; and
(B) Requires psychiatric inpatient hospital services, as the result of a mental disorder, due to the indications in either Subsection (a)(2)(B)1. or 2. below:
1. Has symptoms or behaviors due to a mental disorder that (one of the following):
a. Represent a current danger to self or others, or significant property destruction.
b. Prevent the beneficiary from providing for, or utilizing, food, clothing or shelter.
c. Present a severe risk to the beneficiary's physical health.
d. Represent a recent, significant deterioration in ability to function.
2. Require admission for one of the following:
a. Further psychiatric evaluation.
b. Medication treatment.
c. Other treatment that can reasonably be provided only if the patient is hospitalized.
(b) Continued stay services in a hospital shall only be reimbursed when a beneficiary experiences one of the following:
(1) Continued presence of indications that meet the medical necessity criteria as specified in (a).
(2) Serious adverse reaction to medications, procedures or therapies requiring continued hospitalization.
(3) Presence of new indications that meet medical necessity criteria specified in (a).
(4) Need for continued medical evaluation or treatment that can only be provided if the beneficiary remains in a hospital.
Note: Authority cited: Section 14680, Welfare and Institutions Code. Reference: Sections 5777, 5778 and 14684, Welfare and Institutions Code.
1. New section filed 10-31-97 as an emergency; operative 11-1-97 (Register 97, No. 44). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 3-2-98 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. New section refiled 3-2-98 as an emergency; operative 3-2-98 (Register 98, No. 10). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 6-30-98 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
3. New section refiled 6-17-98 as an emergency; operative 6-30-98 (Register 98, No. 25). Pursuant to Chapter 324 (Statutes of 1998) Item 4440-103-0001(4), a Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 7-1-99 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
4. Editorial correction of History 3 (Register 98, No. 39).
5. Editorial correction extending Certificate of Compliance date to 7-1-2001 pursuant to Chapter 50 (Statutes of 1999) Item 4440-103-0001(4) (Register 99, No. 33). Notwithstanding any other provision of law, emergency regulations adopted pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code section 14680 to implement the second phase of mental health managed care as provided in this part shall remain in effect until permanent regulations are adopted, or June 30, 2006, whichever occurs first.
6. Editorial correction of History 5 (Register 2000, No. 42).
7. Editorial correction of History 5 and repealer and new section filed 5-19-2006; operative 6-18-2006 (Register 2006, No. 20).
This database is current through 7/16/21 Register 2021, No. 29
9 CCR § 1820.205, 9 CA ADC § 1820.205
|End of Document|