§ 70214. Nursing Staff Development.
22 CA ADC § 70214BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 22. Social Security
Division 5. Licensing and Certification of Health Facilities, Home Health Agencies, Clinics, and Referral Agencies
Chapter 1. General Acute Care Hospitals
Article 3. Basic Services (Refs & Annos)
22 CCR § 70214
§ 70214. Nursing Staff Development.
(a) There shall be a written, organized in-service education program for all patient care personnel, including temporary staff as described in subsection 70217(m). The program shall include, but shall not be limited to, orientation and the process of competency validation as described in subsection 70213(c).
(1) All patient care personnel, including temporary staff as indicated in subsection 70217(m), shall receive and complete orientation to the hospital and their assigned patient care unit before receiving patient care assignments. Orientation to a specific unit may be modified in order to meet temporary staffing emergencies as described in subsection 70213(e).
(2) All patient care personnel, including temporary staff as described in subsection 70217(m), shall be subject to the process of competency validation for their assigned patient care unit or units. Prior to the completion of validation of the competency standards for a patient care unit, patient care assignments shall be subject to the following restrictions:
(A) Assignments shall include only those duties and responsibilities for which competency has been validated.
(B) A registered nurse who has demonstrated competency for the patient care unit shall be responsible for nursing care as described in subsections 70215(a) and 70217(h)(3), and shall be assigned as a resource nurse for those registered nurses and licensed vocational nurses who have not completed competency validation for that unit.
(C) Registered nurses shall not be assigned total responsibility for patient care, including the duties and responsibilities described in subsections 70215(a) and 70217(h)(3), until all the standards of competency for that unit have been validated.
(3) The duties and responsibilities of patient care personnel who may be temporarily re-directed from their assigned units are subject to the restrictions in (A), (B), and (C) of subsection (a)(2) above.
(4) Orientation and competency validation shall be documented in the employee's file and shall be retained for the duration of the individual's employment.
(5) A rural General Acute Care Hospital, as defined in Health and Safety Code Section 1250(a), may apply for program flexibility pursuant to Section 70129 of this Chapter, to meet the requirements of subsections 70214(a)(1) through (4) above, by alternate means.
(b) The staff education and training program shall be based on current standards of nursing practice, established standards of staff performance as specified in subsection 70213(c) above, individual staff needs and needs identified in the quality assurance process.
(c) The administrator of nursing services shall be responsible for seeing that all nursing staff receive mandated education as specified in subsection (a) of this Section.
(d) All staff development programs shall be documented by:
(1) A record of the title, length of course in hours, and objectives of the education program presented.
(2) Name, title, and qualifications of the instructor or the title and type of other educational media.
(3) A description of the content.
(4) A date, a record of the instructor, process, or media and a list of attendees.
(5) Written evaluation of course content by attendees.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 100275(a) and 1275, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 1250(a) and 1276, Health and Safety Code.
1. New section filed 11-26-96; operative 12-26-96 (Register 96, No. 48).
This database is current through 6/24/22 Register 2022, No. 25
22 CCR § 70214, 22 CA ADC § 70214
|End of Document|