§ 3120.6. Pits.
8 CA ADC § 3120.6BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 8. Industrial Relations
Division 1. Department of Industrial Relations
Chapter 4. Division of Industrial Safety
Subchapter 6. Elevator Safety Orders
Group III. Installations Defined by Section 3000(f) of these Orders. Elevator Installations for Which the Installation Contract Was Signed on or After October 25, 1998, but Before May 1, 2008
Article 20. Hoistways, Hoistway Enclosures, and Related Construction for Electric Elevators
8 CCR § 3120.6
§ 3120.6. Pits.
(a) Pits shall comply with section 106 of ASME A17.1-1996; except for Rules 106.1(b)(3), 106.1c and 106.1d(2); which is hereby incorporated by reference.
(b) Pits shall comply with section 3016(a), section 3016(c), section 3016(d)(3), section 3016(d)(4), section 3016(d)(5), and section 3016(h).
(c) A water removal system such as a sump pump, suction drain, or gravity drain may be used to address water accumulations on the pit floor pursuant to Rule 1206.2a of ASME A17.1-1996. The water removal system, if provided, shall comply with the following:
(1) Equipment related to the water removal system shall not be located in the pit, elevator hoistway, or machine room;
(2) Piping related to the water removal system shall be located outside the pit and machine room, except that the piping extending from the pit floor to the lowest landing may be installed inside the hoistway.
(3) The water removal system shall not be connected directly to the sewer.
(4) The following shall apply if a drain in the pit floor is used as the water removal system:
(A) The drain shall be designed so that water cannot enter the pit through the drain;
(B) If a sump is provided, the drain shall be in the sump.
(d) Water accumulations shall be removed/pumped from the pit. Authorized personnel shall be present when it is necessary to enter the pit to remove water accumulations.
(e) All elevators installed after October 25, 1998 may be provided with a water removal system that complies with the requirements of section 3120.6(c). Note: Discharge from the water removal system may be subject to the local authority having jurisdiction.
Note: Authority cited: Section 142.3, Labor Code. Reference: Section142.3, Labor Code.
1. New section filed 9-25-98; operative 10-25-98 (Register 98, No. 39).
2. Amendment of section and Note filed 7-28-2003; operative 8-27-2003 (Register 2003, No. 31).
3. Amendment of subsection (c) filed 4-1-2008; operative 5-1-2008 (Register 2008, No. 14).
This database is current through 1/1/21 Register 2021, No. 1
8 CCR § 3120.6, 8 CA ADC § 3120.6
|End of Document||© 2021 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|