§ 1232. Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance.
13 CA ADC § 1232BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 13. Motor Vehicles
Division 2. Department of the California Highway Patrol
Chapter 6.5. Motor Carrier Safety [FNA1]
Article 6. Carrier Requirements (Refs & Annos)
13 CCR § 1232
§ 1232. Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance.
The following provisions apply to the inspection and maintenance of vehicles subject to this chapter.
(a) Preventive Maintenance. Motor carriers shall ensure that all vehicles subject to their control, and all required accessories on the vehicles, are regularly and systematically inspected, maintained, and lubricated to ensure they are in safe and proper operating condition. The carriers shall have a means of indicating the types of inspection, maintenance, and lubrication operations to be performed on each vehicle and the date or mileage when these operations are due. The inspection required by this subsection is more in depth than the daily inspection performed by the driver. Motor carriers shall ensure compliance with this subsection when a vehicle is assigned away from the carrier's regular maintenance facility for periods exceeding normal inspection, maintenance, and lubrication intervals.
(1) Emergency exits. If equipped, push-out windows, roof exits, emergency doors, and emergency exit marking lights shall be inspected at least every 90 days, inspections shall be documented, and inspection documentation shall be retained, in accordance with requirements contained in 49 CFR 396.3 as published December 17, 2008, which are hereby incorporated by this reference.
(b) Periodic Preventive Maintenance Inspection. School bus, SPAB, PAB, and GPPV carriers shall ensure every bus is inspected every 3,000 miles or 45 calendar days, whichever occurs first; or more often if necessary to ensure safe operation. Buses out of service exceeding 45 calendar days need not be inspected at 45-day intervals, provided they are inspected prior to being placed back into service.
This periodic inspection shall at a minimum cover:
(1) Brake adjustment
(2) Brake system leaks
(3) Two-way check valve in dual air systems, alternately draining and recharging primary and secondary air reservoirs
(4) All tank mounting brackets
(5) All belts and hoses for wear
(6) Tires and wheels
(7) Steering and suspension
(c) Oil or Grease Accumulations. Excessive amounts of grease or oil on the vehicle shall be removed and their cause corrected.
(d) Cleanliness of Buses. Every bus shall be kept clean and free of litter.
(e) Inspector Qualifications. Motor carriers shall ensure that individuals performing inspections, maintenance, repairs or service to the brakes or brake systems of vehicles subject to this chapter are qualified in accordance with 49 CFR 396.25 as published on October 1, 2014, which is hereby incorporated by reference.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 2807.2, 27375, 31401, 34501 and 34501.5, Vehicle Code. Reference: Sections 545, 2807.2, 27375, 31401, 34501 and 34501.5, Vehicle Code.
1. New subsection (e) filed 9-27-78; designated effective 10-27-78 (Register 78, No. 39).
2. Amendment filed 8-24-79; designated effective 10-1-79 (Register 79, No. 34).
3. Amendment filed 4-2-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 14).
4. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 6-9-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 24).
5. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 5-17-84; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 84, No. 20).
6. Amendment of subsection (b) filed 8-16-88; operative 9-15-88 (Register 88, No. 34).
7. New subsection (e) filed 9-21-94; operative 9-21-94 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.2(d) (Register 94, No. 38).
8. Change without regulatory effect amending first paragraph and subsection (e) filed 8-7-95 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 95, No. 32).
9. Amendment of subsection (e) filed 3-31-99; operative 4-30-99 (Register 99, No. 14).
10. Amendment of subsections (b) and (e) filed 4-10-2008; operative 5-10-2008 (Register 2008, No. 15).
11. Amendment of subsection (b) and Note filed 7-6-2011; operative 8-5-2011 (Register 2011, No. 27).
12. Amendment of subsection (e) filed 7-25-2016; operative 10-1-2016 (Register 2016, No. 31).
13. New subsection (a)(1) and amendment of Note filed 7-31-2017 as an emergency; operative 7-31-2017 (Register 2017, No. 31). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 1-29-2018 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
14. Certificate of Compliance as to 7-31-2017 order transmitted to OAL 1-19-2018 and filed 2-27-2018 (Register 2018, No. 9).
This database is current through 6/11/21 Register 2021, No. 24
13 CCR § 1232, 13 CA ADC § 1232
|End of Document|