§ 8010. Business Taxes Records.
18 CA ADC § 8010Barclays Official California Code of Regulations
18 CCR § 8010
§ 8010. Business Taxes Records.
The sales and use tax program and special taxes programs are collectively referred to as business taxes. The business taxes records include:
(b) Annotation Back-Up Opinions. An annotation back-up opinion is a redacted copy of the legal ruling of counsel on which an annotation is based. Confidential taxpayer information will be redacted from a back-up opinion prior to disclosure. Requests for copies of business taxes annotation back-up opinions may be sent directly to the Legal Librarian, MIC 82.
(c) Board Staff Memoranda or Letters. Memoranda or letters written by Board staff may be requested by author, date, subject, statute, or regulation. Confidential taxpayer information will be redacted prior to disclosure. Documents protected by the attorney-client privilege or attorney work product privilege will not be disclosed.
(e) Business Taxes Current Legal Digests. Business Taxes Current Legal Digests are sent to interested parties to review drafts of additions, amendments, and deletions of annotations before the draft annotations are finalized and incorporated into the Business Taxes Law Guide. There is an interested parties mailing list for Business Taxes Current Legal Digests.
(g) Decision and Recommendation. A Decision and Recommendation represents an Appeals Attorney's or Appeals Auditor's recommendation regarding a petition for redetermination or a claim for refund after hearing an appeals conference. A Decision and Recommendation does not reflect the ultimate disposition of the appeal by the Board. A Decision and Recommendation has no precedential value. Copies of Decisions and Recommendations may be requested by subject, statute, or regulation. Confidential taxpayer information will be redacted prior to disclosure.
(1) Audit Policy and Management Guidelines. The Audit Policy and Management Guidelines (the “APMG”) addresses special policy areas and procedures relating mainly to the sales and use tax audit program, as well as management of the audit program and the audit selection system. In order to safeguard the integrity of the Board's audit program, most of the content of the APMG will not be disclosed to the public.
(2) Business Taxes Audit Manual. The Audit Manual provides guidance to auditors performing business taxes audits. The purpose of the manual is to ensure that audits are conducted and reports are prepared in a uniform manner consistent with approved tax audit practices. The Business Taxes Audit Manual may be requested as provided in subdivision (d) of Regulation 8004.
(3) Compliance Policy and Management Guidelines. The Compliance Policy and Management Guidelines (“the CPMG”) addresses special policy areas and procedures relating mainly to the sales and use tax compliance program. In order to safeguard the integrity of the Board's compliance program, most of the content of the CPMG will not be disclosed to the public.
(4) Compliance Policy and Procedures Manual. The Compliance Policy and Procedures Manual (“the CPPM”) contains Board policy guidelines, specific standards, and uniform procedures to guide staff with taxpayer registration, account maintenance, tax return processing, the application of security, account close-outs and clearances, and collection and cashiering functions. The manual includes established methods and procedures to provide for uniform, effective, and efficient operations. The CPPM may be requested as provided in subdivision (d) of Regulation 8004.
These manuals and guidelines are not updated on a regular basis. Some manuals and guidelines contain confidential information that must be redacted before the document may be released to the public.
(i) Memorandum Opinions. A formal Business Taxes opinion issued by the Board is called a Memorandum Opinion. The Board has issued a very limited number of Memorandum Opinions. Memorandum Opinions are published in the Business Taxes Law Guide. Individual copies of Memorandum Opinions may be requested by name or subject.
(j) Newsletters. The Board issues the following newsletters: the Tax Information Bulletin (published quarterly), the Fuel Taxes Newsletter (published twice a year), and the Environmental Fees Newsletter (published twice a year). Newsletters may be requested as provided in subdivision (d) of Regulation 8004.
(k) Operations Memoranda. Operations Memoranda (“Ops Memos”) are used to inform Board staff and the public of changes in laws and Board procedures. Ops Memos are public unless they contain confidential information, in which case, when it is possible to do so, a redacted copy will be provided. Ops Memos may be requested by subject, title, or Ops Memo number. In time, individual Ops Memos become obsolete. A list of current Ops Memos may be requested.
(m) Rulemaking Files. A rulemaking file contains a record of the steps taken by an agency to adopt a regulation. A copy of a rulemaking file may be requested directly from the Regulations Coordinator, Board Proceedings Division, MIC: 81. Request rulemaking files by regulation number and the date of the adoption, amendment, or repeal.
(n) Settlements. Whenever a reduction of tax or fee in an administrative settlement in excess of five hundred dollars ($500) is approved, the Board creates a public record of the settlement. Public records of administrative settlements are available for inspection at the reception desk of the Board's Headquarters located at 450 N Street, Sacramento, California. Copies of up to fifty (50) pages may be obtained directly from the reception desk. Requests for more than 50 pages will be mailed to the requestor within one week. Requests for copies may also be addressed to the Executive Director, MIC: 73.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 6253.4 and 15652, Government Code. Reference: Sections 6250, 6252, 6253, 6254, 6254.20, 6254.25, 6254.9 and 6255, Government Code.
1. New section filed 11-15-2000; operative 12-15-2000 (Register 2000, No. 46).
This database is current through 11/24/23 Register 2023, No. 47.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 18, § 8010, 18 CA ADC § 8010
|End of Document|