§ 1055. Use of Safety Cell.
15 CA ADC § 1055BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 15. Crime Prevention and Corrections
Division 1. Board of State and Community Corrections
Chapter 1. Board of State and Community Corrections
Subchapter 4. Minimum Standards for Local Detention Facilities
Article 5. Classification and Segregation
15 CCR § 1055
§ 1055. Use of Safety Cell.
The safety cell described in Title 24, Part 2, Section 1231.2.5, shall be used to hold only those inmates who display behavior which results in the destruction of property or reveals an intent to cause physical harm to self or others. The facility administrator, in cooperation with the responsible physician, shall develop written policies and procedures governing safety cell use and may delegate authority to place an inmate in a safety cell to a physician.
In no case shall the safety cell be used for punishment or as a substitute for treatment.
An inmate shall be placed in a safety cell only with the approval of the facility manager or designee, or responsible health care staff; continued retention shall be reviewed a minimum of every four hours. A medical assessment shall be completed within a maximum of 12 hours of placement in the safety cell or at the next daily sick call, whichever is earliest. The inmate shall be medically cleared for continued retention every 24 hours thereafter. The facility manager, designee or responsible health care staff shall obtain a mental health opinion/consultation with responsible health care staff on placement and retention, which shall be secured within 12 hours of placement. Direct visual observation shall be conducted at least twice every thirty minutes. Such observation shall be documented.
Procedures shall be established to assure administration of necessary nutrition and fluids. Inmates shall be allowed to retain sufficient clothing, or be provided with a suitably designed “safety garment,” to provide for their personal privacy unless specific identifiable risks to the inmate's safety or to the security of the facility are documented.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 6024 and 6030, Penal Code. Reference: Section 6030, Penal Code.
1. Editorial correction of NOTE filed 9-30-82 (Register 82, No. 40).
2. Change without regulatory effect (Register 86, No. 32).
3. Change without regulatory effect pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations filed 3-1-89 (Register 89, No. 10).
4. Amendment filed 8-4-94; operative 9-5-94 (Register 94, No. 31).
5. Change without regulatory effect amending first paragraph filed 9-7-94 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 94, No. 36).
6. Amendment of first paragraph and new second paragraph filed 1-26-98; operative 2-25-98 (Register 98, No. 5).
7. Amendment of first and third paragraphs filed 1-11-2001; operative 2-10-2001 (Register 2001, No. 2).
8. Amendment of first paragraph filed 4-20-2009; operative 5-20-2009 (Register 2009, No. 17).
9. Change without regulatory effect amending first paragraph filed 1-7-2010 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2010, No. 2).
10. Amendment of third paragraph and Note filed 8-20-2012; operative 9-19-2012 (Register 2012, No. 34).
11. Amendment filed 1-26-2017; operative 4-1-2017 (Register 2017, No. 4).
This database is current through 10/1/21 Register 2021, No. 40
15 CCR § 1055, 15 CA ADC § 1055
|End of Document|