§ 1833. Experience.
16 CA ADC § 1833BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 16. Professional and Vocational Regulations
Division 18. Board of Behavioral Sciences
Article 4. Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists (Refs & Annos)
16 CCR § 1833
§ 1833. Experience.
(a) In order for experience to qualify under section 4980.40 of the Code, it must meet the following criteria:
(1) It must have been gained in accordance with sections 4980.42 through 4980.45 of the Code and the regulations contained in this article.
(2) Experience shall not be credited for more than forty (40) hours in any week.
(3) No more than five hundred (500) hours of experience will be credited for providing group therapy or group counseling.
(4) For any person who enrolls in a qualifying degree program on or after January 1, 1990, not less than five hundred (500) total hours of experience shall have been gained in diagnosing and treating couples, families and children.
(b) The term “supervision”, as used in this article, includes ensuring that the extent, kind, and quality of counseling performed is consistent with the education, training, and experience of the person being supervised; reviewing client/patient records, monitoring and evaluating assessment, diagnosis, and treatment decisions of the associate or trainee; monitoring and evaluating the ability of the associate or trainee to provide services at the site(s) where he or she will be practicing and to the particular clientele being served; and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations governing the practice of marriage and family therapy. Supervision shall include that amount of direct observation, or review of audio or video tapes of therapy, as deemed appropriate by the supervisor. Supervision shall be credited only upon the following conditions:
(1) During each week in which experience is claimed and for each work setting in which experience is gained, an applicant shall have at least one (1) hour of one-on-one, individual, face-to-face supervisor contact or two (2) hours of face-to-face supervisor contact in a group of not more than eight (8) persons receiving supervision. No more than six (6) hours of supervision, whether individual or group, shall be credited during any single week.
(2) The applicant shall have received at least one (1) hour of one-on-one, individual, face-to-face supervisor contact per week for a minimum of fifty-two (52) weeks.
(3) Any experience obtained under the supervision of a spouse, relative, or domestic partner shall not be credited toward the required hours of supervised experience. Any experience obtained under the supervision of a supervisor with whom the applicant has had or currently has a personal or business relationship which undermines the authority or effectiveness of the supervisor shall not be credited toward the required hours of supervised experience.
(4) In a setting which is not a private practice, the authorized supervisor may be employed by the applicant's employer on either a paid or a voluntary basis. If such employment is on a voluntary basis, a written agreement must be executed between the supervisor and the organization, prior to commencement of supervision, in which the supervisor agrees to ensure that the extent, kind, and quality of counseling performed by the associate or trainee is consistent with the associate's training, education, and experience, and is appropriate in extent, kind, and quality. The agreement shall contain an acknowledgment by the employer that the employer:
(A) Is aware of the licensing requirements that must be met by the associate or trainee and agrees not to interfere with the supervisor's legal and ethical obligations to ensure compliance with those requirements; and
(B) Agrees to provide the supervisor access to clinical records of the clients counseled by the associate or trainee.
(c) Professional enrichment activities may be credited toward the experience requirement as specified in this article and by section 4980.43 of the Code.
(1) No more than two hundred fifty (250) hours of verified attendance, with the approval of the applicant's supervisor, at workshops, seminars, training sessions, or conferences directly related to marriage and family therapy will be credited.
(2) No more than one hundred (100) hours of psychotherapy, which will be triple counted, received as specified in section 4980.43 of the Code, will be credited.
(d) Experience gained by associates and trainees shall be subject to the following conditions, as applicable:
(1) When an associate employed in private practice is supervised by someone other than the employer, the supervisor must be employed by and practice at the same site(s) as the associate's employer.
(2) A trainee shall not perform services in a private practice.
(3) Associates and trainees may only perform services as employees or volunteers and not as independent contractors.
(e) Effective January 1, 1991, trainees and associates shall maintain a log of all hours of experience gained toward licensure on the weekly summary form specified below. The log shall be signed by the supervisor on a weekly basis. An applicant shall retain all logs until such time as the applicant is licensed by the board. The board shall have the right to require an applicant to submit all or such portions of the log as it deems necessary to verify hours of experience.
(1) If the applicant is gaining experience to comply with section 4980.43(a) of the Code, the applicant shall use the “Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee/Associate Weekly Summary of Experience Hours Option 1 - Streamlined Method” (Form No. 37A-524, Revised 08/2018), hereby incorportated by reference.
(2) If the applicant is gaining experience to comply with section 4980.43(b) of the Code, the applicant shall use the “Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee/Associate Weekly Summary of Experience Hours Option 2 - Multiple Category Method” (Form No. 37A-524a, Revised 08/2018), hereby incorportated by reference.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 4980.35 and 4980.60, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 4980.35, 4980.40, 4980.42, 4980.43, 4980.44 and 4980.45, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 8-20-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 34). For prior history, see Register 75, No. 39.
2. Amendment filed 10-5-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78,No. 40).
3. New subsection (g) filed 1-24-80; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 80, No. 4).
4. Amendment filed 9-15-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 38).
5. Amendment filed 3-19-85; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 85, No. 12).
6. Amendment of subsections (a)-(e) filed 2-5-90; operative 2-5-90 (Register 90, No. 8).
7. Repealer of form and new form filed 12-24-92; operative 1-25-93 (Register 93, No. 1).
8. Amendment of section, including repealer and new form, filed 10-31-97; operative 1-1-98 (Register 97, No. 44).
9. The Board of Behavioral Sciences has discovered that the word “hours” was mistakenly duplicated in subsection (c)(2) (filed with the Secretary of State on 10-31-97). However, the duplication was not printed in Barclays Official California Code of Regulations. This action is a change without regulatory effect amending subsection (c)(2) (to remove the duplication from the regulation as filed with the Secretary of State) filed 12-29-97 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 98, No. 1).
10. Change without regulatory effect amending form filed 4-19-99 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 99, No. 17).
11. Change without regulatory effect amending subsections (b) and (c)(1) filed 4-25-2005 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2005, No. 17).
12. Change without regulatory effect amending subsections (b) and (c)(1) filed 10-18-2005 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2005, No. 42).
13. Repealer of subsections (a)(4)-(5), subsection renumbering, amendment of subsections (c), (c)(2) and (e), repealer and new Form 1800 37A-524 and new Form 1800 37A-524a filed 7-15-2013; operative 10-1-2013 (Register 2013, No. 29).
14. Change without regulatory effect amending section and Note filed 8-29-2018 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2018, No. 35).
This database is current through 4/5/19 Register 2019, No. 14
16 CCR § 1833, 16 CA ADC § 1833
|End of Document||© 2019 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|