§ 55220. Excursions and Field Trips.
5 CA ADC § 55220BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 5. Education
Division 6. California Community Colleges
Chapter 6. Curriculum and Instruction
Subchapter 3. Alternative Instructional Methodologies
Article 2. Excursions and Field Trips
5 CCR § 55220
§ 55220. Excursions and Field Trips.
(a) The governing board of a community college district may:
(1) Conduct field trips or excursions in connection with courses of instruction or instructionally-related social, educational, cultural, athletic, or band activities to and from places in the state, or any other state, the District of Columbia, or a foreign country for students enrolled in a college. A field trip or excursion to and from a foreign country may be permitted to familiarize students with the language, history, geography, natural sciences, and other studies relative to the district's course of study for the students.
(2) Engage instructors, supervisors, and other personnel who desire to contribute their services over and above the normal period for which they are employed by the district, if necessary, and provide equipment and supplies for the field trip or excursion.
(3) Transport students, instructors, supervisors or other personnel to and from places in the state, any other state, the District of Columbia, or a foreign country where the excursion or field trip is being conducted. Transportation may be provided by use of district equipment, by contracting with a transportation provider, or by arranging transportation by the use of other equipment. When district equipment is used, the governing board shall secure liability insurance, and if travel is to and from a foreign country, the liability insurance shall be secured from a carrier licensed to transact insurance business in the foreign country.
(4) Provide supervision of students involved in field trips or excursions by academic employees of the district.
(b) No student shall be prevented from taking a field trip or excursion which is integral to the completion of a course because of lack of sufficient funds. To this end the governing board shall coordinate efforts of community service groups to supply funds for students in need of them.
(c) No group shall be permitted to take a field trip or excursion which is integral to the completion of a course if any student who is a member of such an identifiable group will be excluded from participation in the field trip or excursion because of lack of sufficient funds. Nothing in this subdivision or subdivision (b) shall be construed to prevent a district from offering a study abroad course or program because a particular student or group of students is unable to participate in the course or program due to lack of funds.
(d) Expenses of students participating in a field trip or excursion authorized by this section may not be paid with public funds, except where:
(1) the expenditure is authorized pursuant to subdivision (a); or
(2) funds from a state or federal grant or categorical program are used consistent with the statutory, regulatory or contractual conditions applicable to the expenditure of such funds.
(e) For purposes of subdivision (d), funds of an auxiliary organization duly established pursuant to education Code section 72670 et seq. shall not be considered to be public funds.
(f) Expenses of instructors, chaperons, and other personnel participating in a field trip or excursion authorized by this section may be paid from district funds, and the district may pay from district funds all incidental expenses for the use of district equipment during a field trip or excursion authorized by this section.
(g) The attendance or participation of a student in a field trip or excursion authorized by this section may be claimed for apportionment to the extent that the field trip or excursion is part of a course. However, attendance claimed for apportionment as a result of a field trip or excursion shall be limited to the amount of attendance that would have accrued had the students not been engaged in the field trip or excursion. No more contact hours shall be generated by a field trip or excursion than if the class were held on campus.
(h) All persons making the field trip or excursion shall be deemed to have waived all claims against the district or the State of California for injury, accident, illness, or death occurring during or by reason of the field trip or excursion. All adults taking out-of-state field trips or excursions and all parents or guardians of minor students taking out-of-state field trips or excursions shall sign a statement waiving such claims.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 66700 and 70901, Education Code. Reference: Section 70901, Education Code.
1. New article 2 (sections 55220-55222) and section filed 7-17-2007; operative 8-16-2007. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5 (Register 2007, No. 35).
This database is current through 9/4/20 Register 2020, No. 36
5 CCR § 55220, 5 CA ADC § 55220
|End of Document||© 2020 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|