Home Table of Contents

§ 599.723.1. Travel and Moving Expenses of Persons Who Are Required to Change Their Place of Re...


Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 2. Administration
Division 1. Administrative Personnel
Chapter 3. Department of Human Resources
Subchapter 1. General Civil Service Rules
Article 7. Moving and Relocation Expenses
2 CCR § 599.723.1
§ 599.723.1. Travel and Moving Expenses of Persons Who Are Required to Change Their Place of Residence in Order to Accept Employment With the State - Excluded Employees.
(a) Reimbursement may be allowed for all or part of the travel and moving expenses of professional and technically trained persons who are required to change their place of residence to accept employment with the state under the following conditions:
(1) The employee must have been appointed to a position or class for which the appointing power has certified that such expenditure is necessary in order to recruit qualified persons needed by the state.
(2) The employee must have changed his/her place of residence for the purpose of accepting employment with the state.
(3) The employee is new to state employment or reinstating to state employment after a permanent separation.
(4) The established headquarters is more than 75 miles from the employee's primary residence.
(b) An employee who meets the criteria established in subsection (a) above may, at the discretion of the appointing power, be reimbursed for relocation expenses as follows:
(1) Reimbursement for the expenses for the movement and storage of household goods in accordance with sections 599.718.1, 599.719 and 599.724.1 of these regulations to a maximum of $1,000.
(2) Reimbursement for travel from the old residence to the new residence at the rate of 9 cents per mile. Reimbursement for travel expenses of members of the employee's family will not be allowed.
(c) With advance approval from the Department, an employee who meets the criteria in subsection (a) may, at the discretion of the appointing power be reimbursed for relocation expenses, in addition to those in subsections (b)(1) and (b)(2) above, for all or part of the following:
(1) Reimbursement for a maximum of 30 days of temporary lodging and meals at the new headquarters location, limited to the conditions, maximums and receipt requirements applicable to state employees travel reimbursement as set forth in subsections 599.619(a) and (b) of these regulations. Up to 14 of the 30 days may be used for pre-move house hunting at the new headquarters location, reimbursable after the report date.
(2) As described in section 599.715.1 of these regulations, reimbursement for up to $200 of receipted expenses for installation, connection, or assembly of appliances, antennas or utilities that are related to the establishment of the new household. Deposits are not reimbursable.
(d) Advance approval of the appointing power and the Department of Finance is required for any reimbursement or combination of reimbursements under this regulation that exceeds $1,000. Claims for reimbursement of relocation expenses under this regulation must be submitted no later than 6 months from the reporting date. No reimbursement will be issued prior to the employee reporting to the new headquarters.
(e) If an employee whose travel and moving expenses have been so paid does not continue his/her employment with the agency for a period of two years (unless the discontinuance of his/her employment was the result of death, prolonged illness, disability, unacceptable assessment of the employee by that agency, or similar eventualities beyond the control of the employee as determined by the appointing power), he/she shall repay the following percentage of the amount received as reimbursement for such travel and moving expenses:
100 percent if employed less than 6 months.
75 percent if employed 6 months but less than 12 months.
50 percent if employed 12 months but less than 18 months.
25 percent if employed 18 months but less than 2 years.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 3539.5 and 18502, Government Code. Reference: Section 19842, Government Code.
1. New section filed 5-3-96; operative 6-1-96. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 3539.5 (Register 96, No. 18).
2. Amendment of subsections (b) and (d) filed 10-1-2001; operative 10-1-2001. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 3539.5 (Register 2001, No. 46).
3. Change without regulatory effect amending section and adding Note filed 10-13-2014 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2014, No. 42).
This database is current through 5/6/22 Register 2022, No. 18
2 CCR § 599.723.1, 2 CA ADC § 599.723.1
End of Document