§ 30255. Notices, Instructions, and Reports to Personnel.
17 CA ADC § 30255Barclays Official California Code of Regulations
Barclays California Code of Regulations
Title 17. Public Health
Division 1. State Department of Health Services (Refs & Annos)
Chapter 5. Sanitation (Environmental) (Refs & Annos)
Subchapter 4. Radiation
Group 3. Standards for Protection Against Radiation
Article 2. Notices, Instructions, and Reports to Workers; Inspections and Investigations
17 CCR § 30255
§ 30255. Notices, Instructions, and Reports to Personnel.
(a) This section establishes requirements for notices, instructions, and reports by users to individuals engaged in work under a license or registration and options available to such individuals in connection with Department inspections of licensees or registrants to ascertain compliance with the provisions of the Radiation Control Law and regulations, orders, and licenses issued thereunder regarding radiological working conditions. The requirements in this section apply to all persons who receive, possess, use, own or transfer material licensed by or registered with the Department.
(1) Inform all individuals working in or frequenting any portion of a controlled area of the storage, transfer, or use of radioactive materials or of radiation in such portions of the controlled area; instruct such individuals in the health protection problems associated with exposure to such radioactive materials or radiation, in precautions or procedures to minimize exposure, and in the purposes and functions of protective devices employed; instruct such individuals in, and instruct them to observe, to the extent within their control, the applicable provisions of Department regulations and license conditions for the protection of personnel from exposures to radiation or radioactive materials occurring in such areas; instruct such individuals of their responsibility to report promptly to the licensee or registrant any condition which may lead to or cause a violation of department regulations or license conditions or unnecessary exposure to radiation or radioactive material, and of the inspection provisions of Section 30254; instruct such individuals in the appropriate response to warnings made in the event of any unusual occurrence or malfunction that may involve exposure to radiation or radioactive materials; and advise such individuals as to the radiation exposure reports which they may request pursuant to this section. The extent of these instructions shall be commensurate with potential radiological health protection problems in the controlled area.
(2) Conspicuously post a current copy of this regulation, a copy of applicable licenses for radioactive material, and a copy of operating and emergency procedures applicable to work with sources of radiation. If posting of documents specified in this paragraph is not practicable the user may post a notice which describes the document and states where it may be examined.
(4) Conspicuously post any notice of violation involving radiological working conditions or any order issued pursuant to the Radiation Control Law and any required response from the user. Department documents posted pursuant to this paragraph shall be posted within two working days after receipt of the documents from the Department; the user's response, if any, shall be posted within two working days after dispatch by the user. Such documents shall remain posted for a minimum of five working days or until action correcting the violation has been completed, whichever is later.
(5) Assure that documents, notices, or forms posted pursuant to this section shall appear in a sufficient number of places to permit individuals engaged in work under the license or registration to observe them on the way to or from any particular work location to which the document applies, shall be conspicuous, and shall be replaced if defaced or altered.
(6) Provide reports to any individual of their radiation exposure data and the results of any measurements, analyses, and calculations of radioactive material deposited or retained in the body of that individual as specified in this section. The information reported shall include data and results obtained pursuant to Department regulations, orders, or license conditions, as shown in records maintained by the user pursuant to Department regulations. Each notification and report shall: be in writing; include appropriate identifying data such as the name of the user, the name of the individual, the individual's Social Security number; include the individual's exposure information; and contain the following statement:
“This report is furnished to you under the provisions of the California State Department of Public Health Regulations: Standards for Protection Against Radiation. You should preserve this report for future reference.”
These reports shall be provided as follows:
(A) Each user shall advise each worker annually of the worker's dose as shown in records maintained by the user pursuant to title 10, Code of Federal Regulations, part 20, (10 CFR 20), section 20.2106 as incorporated by reference in section 30253. The user shall provide an annual report to each monitored individual pursuant to section 20.1502, incorporated by reference in section 30253, of the dose received in that monitoring year if:
(B) At the request of a worker formerly engaged in work controlled by the user, the user shall furnish to the worker a report of the worker's exposure to radiation or radioactive material as shown in records maintained by the user pursuant to 10 CFR 20, section 20.2106 that has been incorporated by reference in section 30253, for each year the worker was required to be monitored pursuant to section 20.1502 and for each year the worker was required to be monitored under the monitoring requirements in effect prior to March 3, 1994. Such report shall be furnished within 30 days from the time the request is made, or within 30 days after the exposure of the individual has been determined by the user, whichever is later. This report shall cover the period of time that the worker's activities involved exposure to radiation from radioactive material licensed by, or radiation machines registered with, the Department and shall include the dates and locations of work under the license or registration in which the worker participated during this period.
(C) When a user is required pursuant to 10 CFR 20, sections 20.2202, 20.2203, or 20.2204, as incorporated by reference in section 30253, to report to the Department any exposure of an individual to radiation or radioactive material, the user shall also provide the individual a report on his exposure data included therein. Such reports shall be transmitted at a time not later than the transmittal to the Department.
(D) At the request of a worker who is terminating employment with the user that involved exposure to radiation or radioactive materials, during the current calendar quarter or the current year, each user shall provide at termination to each worker, or to the worker's designee, a written report regarding the radiation dose received by that worker from operations of the user during the current year or fraction thereof. If the most recent individual monitoring results are not available at that time, a written estimate of the dose must be provided together with a clear indication that this is an estimate.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 114975, 115000, 131051, 131052, 131055 and 131200, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 114940, 114965, 115000, 115060, 115110, 115230 and 115235, Health and Safety Code.
1. Renumbering and amendment of former section 30280 to section 30255 filed 3-3-94 as an emergency; operative 3-3-94 (Register 94, No. 9). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 7-1-94 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
2. Certificate of Compliance as to 3-3-94 order transmitted to OAL 6-7-94 and filed 7-14-94 (Register 94, No. 28).
3. Amendment of subsections (a)(6)-(a)(6)(D) and amendment of Note filed 11-9-2010; operative 12-9-2010 (Register 2010, No. 46).
This database is current through 5/26/23 Register 2023, No. 21.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 17, § 30255, 17 CA ADC § 30255
|End of Document|