§ 19003. Permissible Uses.
2 CA ADC § 19003BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
2 CCR § 19003
§ 19003. Permissible Uses.
(a) Voter registration information obtained from a source agency shall be used solely for the following purposes:
(1) Election: for any person to communicate with voters in connection with an election by means that shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
(A) Communicating with voters for or against any candidate or ballot measure in any election;
(B) Communicating with voters regarding the circulation or support of, or opposition to, any recall, initiative, or referendum petition;
(C) Surveying voters in connection with any specific election campaign or specific potential election campaign in which any voter registered to vote may vote;
(D) Surveying voters in connection with an election-related exploratory committee;
(E) Soliciting contributions or services as part of any election campaign on behalf of any candidate for public office or any political party or in support of or opposition to any ballot measure, initiative, or referendum petition.
(2) Scholarly: students working on theses, professors researching voting patterns, and other academics involved in research related to political or election activities.
(3) Journalistic: members of the press for any purpose related to political or election activities.
(4) Political: for any person to communicate with voters to influence public opinion related to political or election activities. The content of such communications shall include, but shall not be limited to: news and opinions of candidates, elections, education related to political matters, political party developments, ballot measures, initiatives, referendum positions, and related political matters.
(5) Governmental: Any request from a governmental agency or for a use related to a governmental function by means including, but not limited to:
(A) Encouraging participation in the United States Census;
(B) Conducting any survey of opinions of voters by any government agency or its contractors;
(C) Any official use by any local, state, or federal governmental agency, which shall include use in connection with any judicial proceeding or investigation involving or being conducted by any local, state, or federal governmental agency.
(6) Record review: For any person to conduct an audit of voter registration lists for election, scholarly, journalistic, political, or governmental purposes. Record review includes, but is not limited to, detecting voter registration fraud, evaluating voter registration information accuracy, and evaluating compliance with applicable Federal and California laws.
(7) Vendor: By any vendor to compile and/or organize voter registration information for another person's use consistent with this Article.
(b) Requests for voter registration information for a purpose not specifically listed in subdivision (a), and not prohibited by section 19004, shall be evaluated for compliance with the Elections Code by the source agency.
(c) A source agency shall review each application for compliance with the Elections Code and this Article independent of decisions made on other applications.
Note: Authority cited: Section 2188.2, Elections Code; and Sections 6254.4 and 12172.5, Government Code. Reference: Sections 2188 and 2194, Elections Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 5-11-2022; operative 7-1-2022. Transmission deadline specified in Government Code section 11346.4(b) extended 60 calendar days pursuant to Executive Order N-40-20 and an additional 60 calendar days pursuant to Executive Order N-71-20 (Register 2022, No. 19).
This database is current through 7/29/22 Register 2022, No. 30
2 CCR § 19003, 2 CA ADC § 19003
|End of Document|