§ 4100. Gun Safe Standards.
11 CA ADC § 4100BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 11. Law
Division 5. Firearms Regulations
Chapter 6. Certified Firearm Safety Device Laboratories, Firearm Safety Device Standards and Testing, and Standards for Gun Safes
Article 4. Operational Requirements, Firearm Safety Device Standards, Gun Safe Standards, Proof of Purchase or Ownership of a Gun Safe, Affixation of Required Warning
11 CCR § 4100
§ 4100. Gun Safe Standards.
An acceptable gun safe is either one the following:
(a) A gun safe that meets all of the following standards:
(1) Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
(2) Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill-resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength.
(3) Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least 1/2-inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
(4) A gun safe shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least 0.100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum one layer of 7-gauge steel plate reinforced construction or at least two layers of a minimum 12-gauge steel compound construction.
(5) Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler's lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
(b) A gun safe that is able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage, and is certified to/listed as meeting Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container rating standards by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL).
Note: Authority cited: Sections 23650 and 23655, Penal Code. Reference: Sections 23650 and 23655, Penal Code.
1. Change without regulatory effect renumbering section 977.50 to section 4100 filed 6-28-2006 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2006, No. 26).
2. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (a)(3) and Note filed 12-27-2011 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2011, No. 52).
This database is current through 1/1/21 Register 2021, No. 1
11 CCR § 4100, 11 CA ADC § 4100
|End of Document||© 2021 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|