§ 3.07. Clearances.
19 CA ADC § 3.07BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 19. Public Safety
Division 1. State Fire Marshal
Chapter 1. General Fire and Panic Safety Standards
Subchapter 1. Administration
Article 3. General Provisions
19 CCR § 3.07
§ 3.07. Clearances.
(a) General. No combustible material shall be placed or stored within 10 feet of any building or structure.
(b) Ground Clearance. The space surrounding every building or structure shall be maintained in accordance with the following:
Any person that owns, leases, controls, operates, or maintains any building or structure in, upon, or adjoining any mountainous area or forest-covered lands, brush covered lands, or grass-covered lands, or any land which is covered with flammable material, shall at all times do all of the following:
(1) Maintain around and adjacent to such building or structure a firebreak made by removing and clearing away, for a distance of not less than 30 feet on each side thereof or to the property line, whichever is nearer, all flammable vegetation or other combustible growth. This section does not apply to single specimens of trees, ornamental shrubbery, or similar plants which are used as ground cover, if they do not form a means of rapidly transmitting fire from the native growth to any building or structure.
(2) Maintain around and adjacent to any such building or structure additional fire protection or firebreak made by removing all bush, flammable vegetation, or combustible growth which is located from 30 feet to 100 feet from such building or structure or to the property line, whichever is nearer, as may be required by the enforcing agency if he finds that, because of extra hazardous conditions, a firebreak of only 30 feet around such building or structure is not sufficient to provide reasonable fire safety. Grass and other vegetation located more than 30 feet from such building or structure and less than 18 inches in height above the ground may be maintained where necessary to stabilize the soil and prevent erosion.
(3) Remove that portion of any tree which extends within 10 feet of the outlet of any chimney or stovepipe.
(4) Cut and remove all dead or dying portions of trees located adjacent to or overhanging any building.
(5) Maintain the roof of any structure free of leaves, needles, or other dead vegetative growth.
(6) Provide and maintain at all times a screen over the outlet of every chimney or stovepipe that is attached to any fireplace, stove, or other device that burns any solid or liquid fuel. The screen shall be constructed of nonflammable material with openings of not more than 1/2 inch in size.
(7) Hazardous vegetation and fuels around all applicable buildings and structures shall be maintained in accordance with the following laws and regulations:
(A) Public Resources Code Section 4291.
(B) California Code of Regulations Title 14, Division 1.5, Chapter 7, Subchapter 3, Section 1299 (see guidance for implementation “General Guideline to Create Defensible Space”).
(C) California Government Code Section 51182.
(D) California Code of Regulations, Title 24, Part 9, Chapter 49.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 13108, 13143, 13143.6, 13211, 17920.7, 17921 and 18897.3, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 13100-13146.5, 13210-13216, 17920.7, 17921 and 18897-18897.7, Health and Safety Code.
1. Change without regulatory effect of NOTE filed 8-24-88 (Register 88, No. 36).
2. New subsections (b)(7)-(b)(7)(D) filed 1-12-2011; operative 1-12-2011 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4 (Register 2011, No. 2).
This database is current through 4/30/21 Register 2021, No. 18
19 CCR § 3.07, 19 CA ADC § 3.07
|End of Document|