§ 3356. Invoice Requirements.
16 CA ADC § 3356BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 16. Professional and Vocational Regulations
Division 33. Bureau of Automotive Repair
Chapter 1. Automotive Repair Dealers and Official Stations and Adjusters
Article 7. Disclosure Requirements for Automotive Repair Dealers
16 CCR § 3356
§ 3356. Invoice Requirements.
(a) All invoices for service and repair work performed, and parts supplied, as provided for in Section 9884.8 of the Business and Professions Code, shall comply with this section.
(b) The invoice shall show the automotive repair dealer's registration number and the corresponding business name and address as shown in the Bureau's records.
(c) The invoice shall separately list, describe and identify all of the following:
(1) All services and repairs performed, including any diagnosis or warranty repairs, and the prices for each.
(2) Each part supplied, in such a manner that the customer can understand what was purchased, and the price for each described part. The description of each part shall state whether the part was new, used, reconditioned, rebuilt, an OEM crash part, or a non-OEM aftermarket crash part. Part kits containing several components may be listed as a single part on the invoice and identified by brand name and corresponding part number or similar designation.
(3) The subtotal price for all service and repair work performed.
(4) The subtotal price for all parts supplied, not including sales tax.
(5) The applicable sales tax, if any.
(6) The total cost for all service and repair work, parts supplied and applicable sales tax.
(d) If a vehicle was delivered to the automotive repair dealer under unusual circumstances per section 3353.2, the automotive repair dealer shall also record the following additional information on the invoice:
(1) The date and time of the authorization of the estimate;
(2) The name of the person who gave the authorization; and
(3) The telephone number or electronic mail address contacted, if any, to obtain the authorization.
(e) If additional authorization was obtained per section 3354(a), and the authorization was made orally or electronically, the automotive repair dealer shall record the oral or electronic authorization on the invoice.
(1) The invoice shall include the following additional information:
(A) The date and time of the additional authorization;
(B) The name of the person who authorized the additional repairs;
(C) The telephone number or electronic mail address contacted, if any, to obtain the additional authorization; and
(D) a description of all additional parts and labor, the cost for the additional parts and labor and the total price for all repairs.
(2) If the customer provided additional authorization orally, the automotive repair dealer may, instead of documenting the information described in subsection (e)(1) of this section, obtain the customer's signature or initials on a statement acknowledging notice of and consent to the additional repairs, parts, and labor, and total revised cost. The statement shall be as follows:
“I acknowledge notice and oral approval of an increase in the original estimated price.
(signature or initials)”
(f) If a customer is to be charged for a part, that part shall be specifically listed as an item in the invoice, as provided in paragraph (2) of subsection (c) above. If that item is not listed in the invoice, it shall not be regarded as a part, and a separate charge may not be made for it.
(g) Separate billing in an invoice for items generically noted as shop supplies, miscellaneous parts, fees for electronic communication with the smog check database, and the like, is prohibited.
(h) A customer's declination of repair or reassembly after teardown shall be documented by an automotive repair dealer on the teardown invoice as specified in section 3353 of this Article.
(i) Replaced parts that cannot be returned to a customer shall be documented by an automotive repair dealer on the invoice as specified in section 3355 in this Article.
(j) The automotive repair dealer shall give the customer a legible copy of the invoice.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 137 and 9882, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 9884.8, 9889.50 and 9889.52, Business and Professions Code; and Sections 12000 and 12001, Vehicle Code.
1. New section filed 6-26-74; designated effective 8-1-74 (Register 74, No. 26).
2. Amendment filed 12-23-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 52).
3. Amendment filed 6-9-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 23).
4. Amendment of NOTE filed 2-22-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 9).
5. Amendment of section filed 8-20-91; operative 9-19-91 (Register 92, No. 1).
6. Amendment of subsection (a) and Note filed 10-20-97; operative 11-19-97 (Register 97, No. 43).
7. Repealer and new section filed 2-2-2007; operative 3-4-2007 (Register 2007, No. 5).
8. Amendment filed 9-13-2018; operative 9-13-2018 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2018, No. 37).
9. Change without regulatory effect amending subsections (e)(2) and (f) filed 6-4-2019 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2019, No. 23).
This database is current through 6/19/20 Register 2020, No. 25
16 CCR § 3356, 16 CA ADC § 3356
|End of Document||© 2020 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|