§ 41301. Standards for Student Conduct.
5 CA ADC § 41301Barclays Official California Code of Regulations
5 CCR § 41301
§ 41301. Standards for Student Conduct.
The University is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy living and learning environment for students, faculty, and staff. Each member of the campus community should choose behaviors that contribute toward this end. Students are expected to be good citizens and to engage in responsible behaviors that reflect well upon their university, to be civil to one another and to others in the campus community, and contribute positively to student and university life.
Student behavior that is not consistent with the Student Conduct Code is addressed through an educational process that is designed to promote safety and good citizenship and, when necessary, impose appropriate consequences.
The following are the grounds upon which student discipline can be based:
(8) Hazing, or conspiracy to haze. Hazing is defined as any method of initiation or pre-initiation into a student organization or student body, whether or not the organization or body is officially recognized by an educational institution, which is likely to cause serious bodily injury to any former, current, or prospective student of any school, community college, college, university or other educational institution in this state (Penal Code 245.6), and in addition, any act likely to cause physical harm, personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm, to any former, current, or prospective student of any school, community college, college, university or other educational institution. The term “hazing” does not include customary athletic events or school sanctioned events.
Neither the express or implied consent of a victim of hazing, nor the lack of active participation in a particular hazing incident is a defense. Apathy or acquiescence in the presence of hazing is not a neutral act, and is also a violation of this section.
(18) Any act chargeable as a violation of a federal, state, or local law that poses a substantial threat to the safety or well being of members of the University community, to property within the University community or poses a significant threat of disruption or interference with University operations.
The Chancellor shall adopt procedures to ensure students are afforded appropriate notice and an opportunity to be heard before the University imposes any sanction for a violation of the Student Conduct Code.
(d) Application of This Code Sanctions for the conduct listed above can be imposed on applicants, enrolled students, students between academic terms, graduates awaiting degrees, and students who withdraw from school while a disciplinary matter is pending. Conduct that threatens the safety or security of the campus community, or substantially disrupts the functions or operation of the University is within the jurisdiction of this Article regardless of whether it occurs on or off campus. Nothing in this Code may conflict with Education Code Section 66301 that prohibits disciplinary action against students based on behavior protected by the First Amendment.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 66017, 66452, 66600, 69810, 89030, 89030.1 and 89035, Education Code. Reference: Sections 66450, 69813 et seq. and 89030, Education Code; and Section 245.6, Penal Code.
1. Amendment of section and Note filed 4-29-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 18). For prior history, see Register 73, No. 15.
2. Renumbering of Article 1.1 (Sections 41301-41304) to Article 2 and amendment of Note filed 3-19-82; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 82, No. 12).
3. Amendment of subsection (l), new subsections (n)-(n)(3), subsection relettering, amendment of newly designated subsections (o)(1) and (o)(2)(A) and amendment of Note filed 2-2-2004; operative 2-2-2004. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1 (Register 2004, No. 8).
4. Amendment of subsection (d), new subsection (o)(6) and amendment of Note filed 7-19-2004; operative 7-19-2004. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1 (Register 2004, No. 36).
5. Amendment of article 2 heading and repealer and new section filed 11-17-2005; operative 11-17-2005. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1 (Register 2005, No. 52).
6. Amendment of subsection (b)(8) filed 3-19-2007; operative 3-19-2007 pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 11343.8 (Register 2007, No. 12).
7. Amendment of Note filed 4-6-2007; operative 4-6-2007 pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 11343.8 (Register 2007, No. 14).
8. Repealer of first paragraph, repealer and new subsection (a) and amendment of subsection (b) and Note filed 2-25-2008; operative 2-25-2008 pursuant to Education Code section 89030.1. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Government Code section 11343.8 (Register 2008, No. 9).
This database is current through 9/22/23 Register 2023, No. 38.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 5, § 41301, 5 CA ADC § 41301
|End of Document|