§ 931. Interpreter and Interpreter/Model.
16 CA ADC § 931BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
16 CCR § 931
§ 931. Interpreter and Interpreter/Model.
(a) An applicant for the barber, cosmetologist, esthetician, manicurist, or electrologist examination may use an Interpreter or an Interpreter/Model during examination if the applicant is unable to speak, read, or write in the English language at a 10th grade level.
(b) The applicant shall file with the application for examination, or not later than thirty (30) days prior to the date of the examination, a notice of permission to use an Interpreter or Interpreter/Model on a form prescribed by the board (Form #03B-125, Form G, Request for Use of an Interpreter or Interpreter/Model, Rev. 8/94) and executed by the applicant under penalty of perjury.
(c) The person designated by the applicant to act as an Interpreter or an Interpreter/Model shall file with the board, not later than fifteen (15) days prior to the date of the examination and on a form prescribed by the board (Form #03A-126, Form H, Rev 8/94) and executed by the person under oath or penalty of perjury, a request to act as an interpreter or an interpreter/model, along with two 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch signed photographs of himself or herself.
(d) The Interpreter or Interpreter/Model shall be a person who is fluent both in English and in the native language of the applicant and must certify to this fact in writing under penalty of perjury.
(e) An Interpreter may interpret only for the written portion of the examination.
(f) An Interpreter/Model may interpret for the written and practical portions of the examination and shall serve as the model for the practical examination.
(g) A person shall be allowed to act as an Interpreter or Interpreter/Model only once in two (2) years in any examination.
(h) An Interpreter shall not be used in the barber or cosmetology instructor examinations.
(i) Disabled persons are entitled to access to examination activities in a manner that is equal to that offered non-disabled persons and reasonable accommodation will be provided all such persons with medically-certified documentation.
(j) The following persons are prohibited from acting as Interpreter or Interpreter/Models:
(1) Persons less than 15 years of age.
(2) Persons who are current or former students in barbering or any of the branches of cosmetology.
(3) Persons who are currently or have been formerly licensed as an operator or an instructor by this state or any other state in barbering or any of the branches of cosmetology.
(4) Persons who are currently or have been formerly enrolled in a barber apprentice training program.
(5) Persons who are currently or have been formerly enrolled in a cosmetologist apprentice training program.
(6) Persons who have been formerly Junior Operators or Junior Electrologists.
(7) Persons who are currently or have been formerly owners or employees of any school of barbering, cosmetology or electrology.
(k) For a period of one (1) year from the date that any person served as an Interpreter or Interpreter/Model, that person shall be ineligible to apply to the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology for a license in barbering or any of the branches of cosmetology from which he or she provided Interpreter or Model services.
(l) If the board determines that any of the information furnished pursuant to this section is false in a material respect, it may void the applicant's examination, if any.
(m) Persons who are only reading the examination to the applicant, but not interpreting to another language, will not be permitted.
(n) If the board determines that an Interpreter or Interpreter/Model is providing answers during the examination or any other material assistance to the applicant other than translating during the conduct of the examination, it shall disqualify the Interpreter or Interpreter/Model and void the applicant's examination.
Note: Authority cited: Section 7312, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 7338 and 7340, Business and Professions Code.
1. Repealer and new section filed 10-24-94; operative 11-23-94 (Register 94, No. 43). For prior history, see Register 86, No. 7.
2. Repealer of subsection (g) and subsection relettering filed 6-4-2008; operative 7-4-2008 (Register 2008, No. 23).
This database is current through 6/10/22 Register 2022, No. 23
16 CCR § 931, 16 CA ADC § 931
|End of Document|