§ 17867. General Operating Standards.
14 CA ADC § 17867BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 14. Natural Resources
Division 7. Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery
Chapter 3.1. Compostable Materials Handling Operations and Facilities Regulatory Requirements
Article 6. Composting Operating Standards
14 CCR § 17867
§ 17867. General Operating Standards.
(a) All compostable materials handling operations and facilities shall meet the following requirements:
(1) All handling activities are prohibited from composting any material specified in section 17855.2 of this Chapter.
(2) All handling activities shall be conducted in a manner that minimizes odor impacts so as to not cause a nuisance.
(3) All handling activities shall be conducted in a manner that minimizes vectors, litter, hazards, nuisances, and noise impacts; and minimizes human contact with, inhalation, ingestion, and transportation of dust, particulates, and pathogenic organisms.
(4) Random load checks of feedstocks, additives, and amendments for contaminants shall be conducted.
(5) Contamination of compostable material that has undergone pathogen reduction, pursuant to section 17868.3 of this Chapter, with feedstocks, compost, or wastes that have not undergone pathogen reduction, pursuant to section 17868.3 of this Chapter, or additives shall be prevented.
(6) Unauthorized human or animal access to the facility shall be prevented.
(7) Traffic flow into, on, and out of the composting operation or facility shall be controlled in a safe manner.
(8) All compostable materials handling operations and facilities that are open for public business shall post legible signs at all public entrances. These signs shall include the following information:
(A) name of the operation or facility,
(B) name of the operator,
(C) facility hours of operation,
(D) materials that will and will not be accepted, if applicable,
(E) schedule of charges, if applicable, and
(F) phone number where operator or designee can be reached in case of an emergency.
(9) The operator shall provide fire prevention, protection and control measures, including, but not limited to, temperature monitoring of windrows and piles, adequate water supply for fire suppression, and the isolation of potential ignition sources from combustible materials. Firelanes shall be provided to allow fire control equipment access to all operation areas.
(10) The operator shall provide telephone or radio communication capability for emergency purposes.
(11) Physical Contaminants and refuse removed from feedstock, compost, or chipped and ground material shall be removed from the site within 7 days and transported to an appropriate facility.
(12) Enclosed operations and facilities shall provide ventilation to prevent adverse public health effects from decomposition gases.
(13) The operator shall ensure that leachate is controlled to prevent contact with the public.
(14) The operator shall prevent or remove physical contaminants in compost and chipped and ground materials that may cause injury to humans.
(15) An attendant shall be on duty during business hours if the operation or facility is open to the public.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 40502, 43020 and 43021, Public Resources Code. Reference: Sections 43020 and 43021, Public Resources Code.
1. New section filed 7-15-93; operative 7-15-93 (Register 93, No. 29).
2. New article 6 and repealer and new section filed 6-30-95; operative 7-30-95 (Register 95, No. 26).
3. Amendment of subsection (a)(4) filed 4-7-97 as an emergency; operative 4-7-97 (Register 97, No. 15). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 8-5-97 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
4. Amendment of subsection (a)(4) refiled 4-7-97 as an emergency; operative 4-7-97 (Register 97, No. 31). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 12-1-97 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
5. Certificate of Compliance as to 4-7-97 order transmitted to OAL 11-25-97 and filed 1-9-98 (Register 98, No. 2).
6. Amendment filed 4-4-2003; operative 4-4-2003 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4 (Register 2003, No. 14).
7. Change without regulatory effect amending subsection (a)(4) filed 8-23-2005 pursuant to section 100, title 1, California Code of Regulations (Register 2005, No. 34).
8. Repealer and new subsection (a)(1) filed 6-18-2007 as an emergency; operative 6-18-2007 (Register 2007, No. 25). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 12-17-2007 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
9. Repealer and new subsection (a)(1) refiled 12-17-2007 as an emergency; operative 12-17-2007 (Register 2007, No. 51). A Certificate of Compliance must be transmitted to OAL by 3-17-2008 or emergency language will be repealed by operation of law on the following day.
10. Certificate of Compliance as to 12-17-2007 order transmitted to OAL 3-13-2008 and filed 4-25-2008 (Register 2008, No. 17).
11. New subsection (a)(2), subsection renumbering and amendment of newly designated subsections (a)(3) and (a)(8) filed 11-10-2015; operative 1-1-2016 (Register 2015, No. 46).
This database is current through 2/7/20 Register 2020, No. 6
14 CCR § 17867, 14 CA ADC § 17867
|End of Document||© 2020 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|