§ 51023.7. Students.
5 CA ADC § 51023.7BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
5 CCR § 51023.7
§ 51023.7. Students.
(a) The governing board of a community college district shall adopt policies and procedures that provide students the opportunity to participate effectively in district and college governance. Among other matters, said policies and procedures shall include the following:
(1) Students shall be provided an opportunity to participate in formulation and development of district and college policies and procedures that have or will have a significant effect on students. This right includes the opportunity to participate in processes for jointly developing recommendations to the governing board regarding such policies and procedures.
(2) Except in unforeseeable, emergency situations, the governing board shall not take action on a matter having a significant effect on students until it has provided students with an opportunity to participate in the formulation of the policy or procedure or the joint development of recommendations regarding the action.
(3) Governing board procedures shall ensure that at the district and college levels, recommendations and positions developed by students are given every reasonable consideration.
(4) For the purpose of this Section, the governing board shall recognize each associated student organization or its equivalent within the district as provided by Education Code Section 76060, as the representative body of the students to offer opinions and to make recommendations to the administration of a college and to the governing board of a district with regard to district and college policies and procedures that have or will have a significant effect on students. The selection of student representatives to serve on college or district committees, task forces, or other governance groups shall be made, after consultation with designated parties, by the appropriate officially recognized associated student organization(s) within the district.
(b) For the purposes of this Section, district and college policies and procedures that have or will have a “significant effect on students” includes the following:
(1) grading policies;
(2) codes of student conduct;
(3) academic disciplinary policies;
(4) curriculum development;
(5) courses or programs which should be initiated or discontinued;
(6) processes for institutional planning and budget development;
(7) standards and policies regarding student preparation and success;
(8) student services planning and development;
(9) student fees within the authority of the district to adopt; and
(10) any other district and college policy, procedure, or related matter that the district governing board determines will have a significant effect on students.
(c) The governing board shall give reasonable consideration to recommendations and positions developed by students regarding district and college policies and procedures pertaining to the hiring and evaluation of faculty, administration,and staff.
(d) Nothing in this Section shall be construed to impinge upon the due process rights of faculty, nor to detract from any negotiations or negotiated agreements between collective bargaining agents and district governing boards. It is the intent of the Board of Governors to respect agreements between academic senates and collective bargaining agents as to how they will consult, collaborate, share or delegate among themselves the responsibilities that are or may be delegated to academic senates pursuant to the regulations on academic senates contained in Sections 53200-53206.
(e) The governing board of a community college district shall comply substantially with policies and procedures adopted in accordance with this Section.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 66700 and 70901(b)(1)(E), Education Code. Reference: Sections 70901 (b)(1)(E), 70902(b)(7) and 76060, Education Code.
1. New section filed 3-12-91 by Board of Governors of California Community Colleges with the Secretary of State; operative 4-5-91. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5(b) (Register 91, No. 23).
2. Editorial correction of printing errors in subsections (a) and (b) and HISTORY 1 (Register 91, No. 43).
3. Amendment of subsections (a)(2), (a)(4), (b), (b)(10), (d) and (e) filed 9-6-94; operative 10-6-94. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5 (Register 94, No. 38).
This database is current through 6/19/20 Register 2020, No. 25
5 CCR § 51023.7, 5 CA ADC § 51023.7
|End of Document||© 2020 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|