§ 51023.5. Staff.
5 CA ADC § 51023.5BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
5 CCR § 51023.5
§ 51023.5. Staff.
(a) The governing board of a community college district shall adopt policies and procedures that provide district and college staff the opportunity to participate effectively in district and college governance. At minimum, these policies and procedures shall include the following:
(1) Definitions or categories of positions or groups of positions other than faculty that compose the staff of the district and its college(s) that, for the purposes of this section, the governing board is required by law to recognize or chooses to recognize pursuant to legal authority. In addition, for the purposes of this section, management and nonmangement positions or groups of positions shall be separately defined or categorized.
(2) Participation structures and procedures for the staff positions defined or categorized.
(3) In performing the requirements of subsections (a)(1) and (2), the governing board or its designees shall consult with the representatives of existing staff councils, committees, employee organizations, and other such bodies. Where no groups or structures for participation exist that provide representation for the purposes of this section for particular groups of staff, the governing board or its designees, shall broadly inform all staff of the policies and procedures being developed, invite the participation of staff, and provide opportunities for staff to express their views.
(4) Staff shall be provided with opportunities to participate in the formulation and development of district and college policies and procedures, and in those processes for jointly developing recommendations for action by the governing board, that the governing board reasonably determines, in consultation with staff, have or will have a significant effect on staff.
(5) Except in unforeseeable, emergency situations, the governing board shall not take action on matters significantly affecting staff until it has provided staff an opportunity to participate in the formulation and development of those matters through appropriate structures and procedures as determined by the governing board in accordance with the provisions of this Section.
(6) The policies and procedures of the governing board shall ensure that the recommendations and opinions of staff are given every reasonable consideration.
(7) When a college or district task force, committee, or other governance group, is used to consult with staff regarding implementation of this section or to deal with other issues which have been determined to significantly affect staff pursuant to subdivision (a)(4), the appointment of staff representatives shall be made as follows:
(A) The exclusive representative shall appoint representatives for the respective bargaining unit employees, unless the exclusive representative and the governing board mutually agree in a memorandum of understanding to an alternative appointment process.
(B) Where a group of employees is not represented by an exclusive agent, the appointment of a representative of such employees on any task force, committee or governance group shall be made by, or in consultation with, any other councils, committees, employee organizations, or other staff groups that the governing board has officially recognized in its policies and procedures for staff participation.
(C) When the task force, committee or governance group will deal with issues outside the scope of collective bargaining, any other council, committee or staff group, other than an exclusive agent, that the governing board has officially recognized in its policies and procedures for staff participation may be allowed to designate an additional representative. These organizations shall not receive release time, rights, or representation on such task forces, committees, or other governance groups exceeding that offered to the exclusive representative of classified employees.
(D) In all cases, representatives shall be selected from the category that they represent.
(b) In developing and carrying out policies and procedures pursuant to subsection (a), the district governing board shall ensure that its actions do not dominate or interfere with the formation or administration of any employee organization, or contribute financial or other support to it, or in any way encourage employees to join any organization in preference to another. In addition, in order to comply with Government Code sections 3540, et seq., such procedures for staff participation shall not intrude on matters within the scope of representation under section 3543.2 of the Government Code. Governing boards shall not interfere with the exercise of employee rights to form, join, and participate in the activities of employee organizations of their own choosing for the purpose of representation on all matters of employer-employee relations. Nothing in this section shall be construed to impinge upon or detract from any negotiations or negotiated agreements between exclusive representatives and district governing boards. It is the intent of the Board of Governors to respect lawful agreements between staff and exclusive representatives as to how they will consult, collaborate, share, or delegate among themselves the responsibilities that are or may be delegated to staff pursuant to these regulations.
(c) Nothing in this section shall be construed to impinge upon the policies and procedures governing the participation rights of faculty and students pursuant to sections 53200-53204, and section 51023.7, respectively.
(d) The governing board of a community college district shall comply substantially with the provisions of this section.
Note: Authority cited: Section 70901, Education Code. Reference: Sections 70901, 70901.2 and 70902, Education Code; and Sections 3540 et seq., Government Code.
1. New section filed 3-12-91 by Board of Governors of California Community Colleges with the Secretary of State operative 4-5-91. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5(b), (Register 91, No. 23).
2. Editorial correction of printing error in subsection (b) and HISTORY 1. (Register 91, No. 43).
3. Amendment of subsections (a)(1), (a)(3), (a)(5), (a)(7), (b), (c) and (d) filed 9-6-94; operative 10-6-94. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5 (Register 94, No. 38).
4. Amendment of section and Note filed 5-16-2003; operative 6-15-2003. Submitted to OAL for printing only pursuant to Education Code section 70901.5 (Register 2003, No. 27).
This database is current through 2/19/21 Register 2021, No. 8
5 CCR § 51023.5, 5 CA ADC § 51023.5
|End of Document||© 2021 Thomson Reuters. No claim to original U.S. Government Works.|