§ 11700. Definitions.
5 CA ADC § 11700BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 5. Education
Division 1. California Department of Education
Chapter 11. Special Programs
Subchapter 13. Independent Study
Article 1. General Provisions
5 CCR § 11700
§ 11700. Definitions.
(a) “Full-time equivalent certificated employees” means any combination of full-time certificated employees and part-time certificated employee assignments that aggregate to the amount of instructional time specified in the contract of a full-time certificated classroom teacher of the district or county office of education.
(b) “General supervision” means the supervising teacher's
(1) continuing oversight of the study design, implementation plan, allocation of resources, and evaluation of pupil or adult education student progress for any pupil's or adult education student's independent study; and
(2) personal determination or personal review of the determination made by another certificated teacher of the time values for apportionment purposes of each pupil's or adult education student's work products.
(c) “Independent study” means an alternative to classroom instruction consistent with the district's course of study.
(d) “Independent study is an optional educational alternative in which no pupil may be required to participate” means
(1) with regard to school districts or county offices of education, that
(A) they are not required to offer independent study, and
(B) school districts or county offices of education that do offer independent study are not obliged to permit a pupil or adult education student to engage in independent study if school officials given responsibility for the decision determine that independent study is not an appropriate alternative for the pupil or adult education student; and,
(2) with regard to pupils or adult education students,
(A) a pupil's or an adult education student's choice to commence, or to continue in, independent study must not be coerced, and
(B) in the case of a pupil who is referred or assigned to any school, class, or program pursuant to Education Code sections 48915 or 48917, and to the extent that independent study is not prohibited, instruction may be provided to the pupil through independent study only if the pupil has the continuing option of classroom instruction.
(e) “Method utilized to evaluate” means any specified procedure through which a certificated teacher personally assesses the extent to which achievement of the pupil or adult education student meets the objectives of an assignment.
(f) “Methods of study” means the pupil or adult education student activities selected by the supervising teacher as the means to reach the educational objectives set forth in the written agreement.
(g) “Missed assignment” means any specified independent study assignment that has not been turned in, or evidenced as completed, by a pupil or adult education student by the due date for the assignment.
(h) “Regular school program” means the classroom-based instructional program or its equivalent that a pupil or adult education student would have attended had the pupil or adult education student not elected independent study.
(i) “Specific resources” include all resources, including materials and services, reasonably necessary to the achievement of the objectives in the written agreement, and shall not be construed to exclude resources normally available to all pupils or adult education students on the same terms as the terms on which they are normally available to all pupils or adult education students.
(j) “Supervising teacher” means the certificated teacher employed by the school district or county office of education and assigned, as noted in the written agreement, the responsibility for coordinating, evaluating, and providing general supervision of a pupil's or adult education student's independent study pursuant to Education Code section 51747.5(a).
(k) “Type of program” means statutory program category for purposes of attendance accounting.
(l) “Work product” means that which results from a pupil's or adult education student's efforts and actions to complete or perform the assignments given and which is subsequently evaluated by a certificated teacher.
Note: Authority cited: Section 51749.3, Education Code. Reference: Sections 48200, 48663, 48916.1, 49067, 51745, 51746, 51747 and 51747.5, Education Code.
1. New Chapter 15 (Sections 11700-11703) filed 10-22-76; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 76, No. 43).
2. Amendment of section and NOTE filed 9-23-77; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 77, No. 39).
3. Renumbering of Chapter 15 (Sections 11700-11703) to Chapter 13 filed 11-7-79; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 79, No. 45).
4. Amendment filed 4-13-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 16).
5. Amendment filed 10-15-90; operative 10-15-90 pursuant to Government Code section 11346.2(d) (Register 90, No. 47).
6. Amendment of subchapter 13 heading, section and Note filed 12-12-97; operative 1-11-98 (Register 97, No. 50).
7. Editorial correction of subsection (d) (Register 2009, No. 24).
This database is current through 7/16/21 Register 2021, No. 29
5 CCR § 11700, 5 CA ADC § 11700
|End of Document|