(a) If requested by the customer at the time of authorization of the estimate, the automotive repair dealer shall return all replaced parts to the customer upon completion of the repair, pursuant to section 9884.10 of the Business and Professions Code.
(b) Parts that are exempt from the requirement in subsection (a) include:
(1) Parts and components that are replaced and sold on an exchange basis; and
(2) Parts that an automotive repair dealer is required to return to the manufacturer or distributor under a warranty arrangement.
(c) If a part specified in subsection (b) is authorized by the customer to be replaced, and there will be a charge for the replacement part, the automotive repair dealer shall, if requested by the customer at the time of authorization of the estimate, offer to show the customer the replaced part.
(1) If the customer accepts the offer, the automotive repair dealer shall:
(A) show the customer the replaced part upon completion of the repair; and
(B) inform the customer orally and document on both the work order and invoice that the part is not returnable.
Note: Authority cited: Section 9882, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 9884.10, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment filed 2-22-83; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 83, No. 9).
2. Amendment section heading and repealer and new section filed 9-13-2018; operative 9-13-2018 pursuant to Government Code section 11343.4(b)(3) (Register 2018, No. 37).
This database is current through 12/1/23 Register 2023, No. 48.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 16, § 3355, 16 CA ADC § 3355