§ 2550.1. Required Programs.
23 CA ADC § 2550.1BARCLAYS OFFICIAL CALIFORNIA CODE OF REGULATIONS
Barclays Official California Code of Regulations Currentness
Title 23. Waters
Division 3. State Water Resources Control Board and Regional Water Quality Control Boards
Chapter 15. Discharges of Hazardous Waste to Land
Article 5. Water Quality Monitoring for Classified Waste Management Units
23 CCR § 2550.1
§ 2550.1. Required Programs.
(a) A discharger subject to this article shall conduct a monitoring and response program, approved by the regional board, for each waste management unit at the facility as follows.
(1) The discharger shall institute a detection monitoring program under section 2550.8 of this article except as required under Subsections (a)(2), (a)(3), and (a)(4) of this section;
(2) The discharger shall institute an evaluation monitoring program under section 2550.9 of this article whenever there is statistically significant evidence of a release, pursuant to subsections 2550.8(g) or (i) of this article, from the waste management unit during a detection monitoring program;
(3) The discharger shall institute an evaluation monitoring program under section 2550.9 of this article whenever there is significant physical evidence of a release from the waste management unit. Significant physical evidence of a release includes unexplained volumetric changes in surface impoundments, unexplained stress in biological communities, unexplained changes in soil characteristics, visible signs of leachate migration, and unexplained water table mounding beneath or adjacent to the waste management unit and any other change to the environment that could reasonably be expected to be the result of a release from the waste management unit; and
(4) The discharger shall institute a corrective action program under section 2550.10 of this article when the regional board determines pursuant to section 2550.9 of this article that the assessment of the nature and extent of the release and the design of a Corrective Action Program have been satisfactorily completed and the regional board approves the application for an amended report of waste discharge for corrective action submitted by the discharger during an evaluation monitoring program pursuant to subsection 2550.9(d) of this article.
(b) The regional board shall specify in the waste discharge requirements the specific type or types of monitoring programs required and the specific elements of each monitoring and response program. For each waste management unit, the regional board shall require one or more of the programs identified in subsection (a) of this section that is appropriate for the prevailing state of containment at the waste management unit and shall specify the circumstances under which each of the programs will be required. In deciding whether to require the discharger to be prepared to institute a particular program, the regional board shall consider the potential adverse effects on human health or the environment that might occur before final administrative action on an amended report of waste discharge to incorporate such a program could be taken.
(c) In conjunction with an evaluation monitoring program or a corrective action program, the discharger shall continue to conduct a detection monitoring program under section 2550.8 of this article as necessary to provide the best assurance of the detection of subsequent releases from the waste management unit.
Note: Authority cited: Section 1058, Water Code. Reference: Sections 13172, 13263, 13267, and 13304, Water Code.
1. New section filed 5-24-91; operative 7-1-91 (Register 91, No. 22).
This database is current through 6/17/22 Register 2022, No. 24
23 CCR § 2550.1, 23 CA ADC § 2550.1
|End of Document|