(a) An individual applying for approval as a continuing education course provider must:
(1) Complete and submit an application form supplied by the Board entitled, “Application to be a Continuing Education Course Provider for Licensed Vocational Nurses” (Form 55A-40; 09/05), hereby incorporated by reference.
(2) The content of all courses of continuing education must be relevant to the practice of nursing and must:
(A) Be related to the scientific knowledge and/or technical, manual skills required for the practice of vocational nursing, or
(B) Be related to direct and/or indirect patient/client care.
(C) Learning experiences are expected to enhance the knowledge of the vocational nurse at a level above that required for licensure.
(3) Submit one course offering for Board review prior to course provider approval. Include the following information for the course submitted for review:
(A) Identifying information for the name, location and contact of the provider.
(B) A description of the subject matter of the course as it relates to recent developments in the vocational nursing field or in any special area of vocational nursing practice, including course title;
(C) The course objectives;
(D) Method(s) of instruction;
(E) Total number of hours in the course and the course location;
(F) Methods of evaluation:
1. for instructor evaluation of student achievement of course objectives; and
2. for student evaluation of course content and course instructor.
(G) Course instructor's qualifications, as specified in Section 2540.4.
(b) The Board will issue approval to the provider. A provider will not be approved for more than a two-year period. Following approval by the Board within each two-year period, the provider may offer an unlimited number of continuing education courses.
(c) An approved provider shall have a written and published policy, available on request, which provides information on:
(1) refunds in cases of non-attendance
(2) time period for return of fees
(3) notification if course is canceled
(d) The approved provider is required to accept full responsibility for each and every course, including but not limited to recordkeeping, advertising course content, issuance of certificates and instructor qualifications.
(e) Approved providers shall keep the following records for a period of four years:
(1) course outlines of each course given
(2) record of dates and places each course is given
(3) instructor curriculum vitae or resumes
(4) names and license numbers of licensed vocational nurses and/or psychiatric technicians who take any course offered by the approved provider and a record of any certificate issued to them.
(f) Provider approval is non-transferable.
(g) Approved providers must notify the Board within 30 days of any changes in information that was submitted on the most recent approved application to the board.
(h) Approval of a licensed vocational nurse continuing education course provider may be withdrawn if the Board later discovers misrepresentation in an advertisement or in any information required by the Board in accordance with this Article.
Note: Authority cited: Section 2854, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 2892.5, Business and Professions Code.
1. Amendment of subsections (a)(4) and (c) filed 3-3-78; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 78, No. 9).
2. Amendment of subsection (a) filed 4-22-81; effective thirtieth day thereafter (Register 81, No. 17).
3. Amendment filed 11-16-83; effective upon filing pursuant to Government Code Section 11346.2(d) (Register 83, No. 47).
4. Amendment of section heading and section filed 5-4-2007; operative 6-3-2007 (Register 2007, No. 18).
This database is current through 3/10/23 Register 2023, No. 10.