(a) With prior Board approval, each vocational nursing program may offer an optional clinical preceptorship during the last nine weeks of the program.
(b) Preceptorship means an optional clinical experience for selected vocational nursing students, which is conducted in the last nine (9) weeks of the vocational nursing program.
(c) Preceptor means a registered nurse or a licensed vocational nurse on staff at the clinical facility in which the preceptorship will occur who is specially selected and prepared to work with a student during the preceptorship and who shall be responsible for on-site direction of the student's preceptorship.
(d) The program director or designee shall be responsible for the overall management of the preceptorship and final student outcomes.
(1) The preceptorship may be conducted in any health care setting (including acute, subacute, clinic or a combination of settings) wherein the specific clinical objectives can be met.
(2) The goal of the preceptorship shall be the facilitation of students' maximal application of newly acquired knowledge, skills, and abilities in a realistic setting that simulates actual job performance.
(3) Preceptorships shall not be used for clinical make-up time or remediation.
(4) Prior to implementation of the preceptorship, the director shall apply for Board approval and specify the clinical objectives to be accomplished by the student in the preceptorship facility.
(5) The total length of a student's preceptorship shall not exceed 160 hours.
(6) The total hours per week required of a student for theory and preceptorship attendance shall not exceed 40 hours.
(7) The total hours per day required of a student for theory and preceptorship attendance shall not exceed eight (8) hours.
(8) The preceptorship shall be conducted within the last nine (9) weeks of the program or when presentation of new theory and correlated clinical content has been completed, whichever occurs later.
(9) The maximum instructor-to-preceptorship student ratio is 1:15.
(10) The maximum preceptor-to-student ratio is 1:1.
Note: Authority cited: Section 2854, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 2881 and 2882, Business and Professions Code.
1. New section filed 6-1-2000; operative 6-30-2000 pursuant to Government Code section 11349.3(a) (Register 2000, No. 22).
This database is current through 3/10/23 Register 2023, No. 10.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 16, § 2534.1, 16 CA ADC § 2534.1