(a) A licensed vocational nurse shall safeguard patients'/clients' health and safety by actions that include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Reporting to the Board acts specified in Sections 2878 and 2878.5 of the Business and Professions Code;
(2) Documenting patient/client care in accordance with standards of the profession; and
(3) Performing services in accordance with Section 125.6 of the Business and Professions Code.
(b) A licensed vocational nurse shall adhere to standards of the profession and shall incorporate ethical and behavioral standards of professional practice which include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Maintaining current knowledge and skills for safe and competent practice;
(2) Maintaining patient/client confidentiality;
(3) Maintaining professional boundaries with the patient/client;
(4) Abstaining from chemical/substance abuse; and
(5) Cooperating with the Board during investigations as required by Section 2878.1 of the Business and Professions Code.
(c) A violation of this section constitutes unprofessional conduct for purposes of initiating disciplinary action.
Note: Authority cited: Section 2854, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 101.6, 108, 2859, 2878, 2878.1 and 2878.5, Business and Professions Code; Section 11166, Penal Code; and Section 15630(a), Welfare and Institutions Code.
1. New section filed 9-19-96; operative 10-19-96 (Register 96, No. 38).
2. Amendment of subsections (a)-(a)(1) and (b)(3)-(4), new subsection (b)(5) and amendment of Note filed 9-11-2007; operative 10-11-2007 (Register 2007, No. 37).
This database is current through 3/10/23 Register 2023, No. 10.
Cal. Admin. Code tit. 16, § 2518.6, 16 CA ADC § 2518.6